Force Harness Removal Question For Transom Repair

B-2

Cadet
I have a 1987 Bayliner Bass Boat I am the 3rd owner & glad to say it is mostly just the way it came new. I need to repair the transom and was wondering if anyone had to pull the motor off of a BayLiner Bass Boat. I don't see a plug inside the hull any were to just unplug the motor, so I was wondering if it would be better to cut the cables open & install a plug so I don't have to disconnect everything from the motor. Or maybe I'm just missing it. Thanks for any info.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome, even after 9 years. :D

This is in the wrong section and after you tell what motor is hangin' off the back, we'll put it in the right section.

While we're waiting, don't cut anything. The cables are disconnected from the motor end - Throttle, shift and the harness.

B-2

Cadet
Thanks its a 85 HP Force the harness is what I am talking about. I'm 62 now & my fingers don't move like they use to, I just thought it would be easier to put a plug in the harness that way if I ever needed to take the motor off again it would be a lot easier than taking out all of those little screws. And yes its been awhile I have not had a boat since the kids left home. But I'm retired now & have grandkids to take fishing now. :lol: Thanks B-2

GA_Boater

OK B-2, in the Force section now.

While I'm looking for some info, one of the other guys might have the answer at their finger tips.

Renaming the thread as well.

GA_Boater

I've found two different types of Force harnesses. One with a round plug at the motor and one with ring terminals.

If you have a plug. simply undo it. For the terminal type, look at the terminal strip and see if the harness colors match those on the terminal strip. Or number the terminals so you can match them up later.

If you're worried about loosing the screws, spread a rag under the work area to catch any dropsies.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
The 87 came with the ring terminals.
​You could cut into the harness?? but that just adds a place to short out and fail??

​Just unscrew the connectors at the terminal block and pull the cable out.

B-2

Cadet
Thanks for the info I am color blind & getting to were my finger tips are numb getting older sucks but at least I have more time to fish, :lol: I was hoping there was a plug it would make it a lot easier for me. So I guess I'll go the tape & numbers thing & hope I don't loose any tape pulling it out I've had to deal with this all my life I was just hoping I would get lucky this time :facepalm: some things just never change. :lol:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A friend said use a black marker and mark each wire.
1st wire 1 mark. 2nd wire 2 marks.Etc.

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was going to say take alot of pics before undoing the wires but if color blind that might not help and it sounds like jerry has the brainstorm of a good idea

B-2

Cadet
Thanks for all of the info everyone it has been a lot of help. I have it all back together the motor started right back up & runs great. But I have another problem I was adjusting the steering & caught the cable that goes to my power trim & pulled it tight I stopped & unhooked it. But now the power trim does not work I checked I have power up to the relays & coming out to the motor but it doesn't work. I'm afraid I may have pulled the wires apart inside the motor, has anyone opened up the motor to the power trim. Looking at the diagram in my manual it looks simple enough I just don't want to pull it apart & find out it has a bearing or something that falls apart. lol

B-2

Cadet
Thanks for all of the help & info everyone I have it all back together & it started right back up runs great. Well now I have another problem I was adjusting the steering & pulled the cable to the power trim. It doesn't work now I checked it has power to the relays & power coming out to the motor just don't work. Is there any thing I need to know before I pull the top off of the elec motor on the power trim. It looks simple enough in the diagram in the manul lol but I have been down that road before. Thanks again.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
First unhook the power blue/green leads at the relays.
​Supply power to them.
One on a + and one on the neg.
See if it makes the trim work.

​The wires attach under the cap.
One hooks to a points type connector.
​If you stretched it enough you could have broken the connection??
I did that once.

Not that hard to remove.

Some T@T motors, on the top end of the armature is a tiny ball bearing.
​Watch it and see if it has one?

B-2

Cadet
Thanks for that info I will give it a try I have pulled other elec motors apart & had springs or bearings fly out. At least I have a idea of what to look for.