heel vs 3 cylinder flywheel

Kenny1983

Recruit
Hey guys I am dying to get back on the water so any help is appreciated. I have a 1992 70hp force motor that had broken a magnet under the flywheel. I get on eBay and ordered a used flywheel. When the item got here it has a sticker on it that says for 2 cylinder only (was not on the picture on eBay by the way) but it looks the same and even has the same #s on the flywheel. I installed it yesterday and the boat will not start, it turns over it's getting spark, and gas. Will this flywheel work is what I'm trying to ask

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
No it will not work. The trigger magnet is designed to only work with 2 cylinder motors like the sticker says. The trigger magnet is the ring that is located around the hole in the center of the fly wheel.

Kenny1983

Recruit
Thank you for the reply, I think I will just rip the outter magnets off of it and glue them to my old flywheel, any tips on removing them?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You'll only destroy them.
​They're not made to come out
E-bay has a GREAT buyer protection program.
​Have you given the feedback yet?
​Most want to protect that.
Get your $ back from the seller and buy the right one.
It might cost you the shipping? but still probably save you a few $$

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I would second Jerry's suggestion.

You'd probably have to heat the flywheel up until it's smoking hot to get the adhesive to soften up to get the magnets off. The heat might have a negative affect on the magnets, but I'm not sure about that.

If you do manage to get them off, they have to be installed in exactly the same orientation with the other magnets on your original flywheel that you're trying to fix. You want to mark the magnet(s) before you remove them so you can do this. The magnets have a North and South pole. The poles could be at each end of the magnet, or on each side of the magnet, or on the top and bottom of the magnet. It depends on how they were manufactured. The poles on all the magnets need to be oriented the same in order to generate the correct stator voltage.