1983 Chrysler 45hp Spark Plug Size & Gap

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Is their a reference of some sort in regards to spark plugs? I think I need to change my spark plugs but I can't remember for the life of me what I bought and what I gapped them too.
1983 Chrysler 45hp
Model: 457H3P
Serial: 1322

Nordin

Commander
If it has magneto or battery ignition system NGK B6HS or BR6HS or equal from other brands.
If it has MagnaPower CD ignition surface gap style such as NGK BUHW or equal..

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Picked up the NGK BR6HS and gapped them to 0.03. Fired her up on muffs and in a trash can, on muffs idles smooth, in trash can rough idle like its about to stall. Took it to the ramp, rough idle and stalled when I tried to put it in reverse. Brought it back home and parked it to fiddle with it in the morning...Now where do I start...

Last edited:

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo273268.jpg
    photo273268.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273271.jpg
    photo273271.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273272.jpg
    photo273272.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Old plugs look pretty normal from using.

It is idling easy at muff but low/rough in water can, then you have to check the idle set screw and the air/fuel mixture screw.
As you say it stalls when you put in gear that indicate low idle RPM or/and to lean air/fuel mix setting.

From the pics of the old plugs it do not seams to run to rich maybe a little lean BUT the plugs looks normal.
The idle screw is the one at the tower shaft that rests to the engine block. It should idle about 1100 -1200 RPM at muffs and 700-800 RPM in water and in gear.

Start to set the air/fuel mix screw, it is the one at top of the carb. It should be at 1-1,5 turn out from lightly seated.
Then set the idle screw because if you rich (air/fuel screw CCW) the RPM will decrease and if you lean it it will increase.

I think the air/fuel mixture set at 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 out will be okey.

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Old plugs look pretty normal from using.

It is idling easy at muff but low/rough in water can, then you have to check the idle set screw and the air/fuel mixture screw.
As you say it stalls when you put in gear that indicate low idle RPM or/and to lean air/fuel mix setting.

From the pics of the old plugs it do not seams to run to rich maybe a little lean BUT the plugs looks normal.
The idle screw is the one at the tower shaft that rests to the engine block. It should idle about 1100 -1200 RPM at muffs and 700-800 RPM in water and in gear.

Start to set the air/fuel mix screw, it is the one at top of the carb. It should be at 1-1,5 turn out from lightly seated.
Then set the idle screw because if you rich (air/fuel screw CCW) the RPM will decrease and if you lean it it will increase.

I think the air/fuel mixture set at 1 1/8 - 1 1/4 out will be okey.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know which screw is the idle screw and which is the air/fuel screw?

Attachments

• photo273392.jpg
    photo273392.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo273393.jpg
    photo273393.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
No one of them in the pics.

If you look at the carb from the front (at the throat) there is a screw at 12 o?clock. That is the air/fuel mixture screw.

The idle screw is at the tower shaft it rest to the block and ususally it has a nut to lck it to the tower shaft.

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No one of them in the pics.

If you look at the carb from the front (at the throat) there is a screw at 12 o?clock. That is the air/fuel mixture screw.

The idle screw is at the tower shaft it rest to the block and ususally it has a nut to lck it to the tower shaft.

Found the screws the air/fuel screw when looking at the throat of the carb was exactly where you said never noticed it this whole time. The idle screw was also exactly where you said it was. Now I'm just dealing with a bad battery, tried to turn her over and it was slow turning every other second almost, charged the battery and tried again in the morning... no good. Just bought this battery last August, its a starting battery rated for 800 CCA group 24. Can a battery go bad in a year? I run a fish finder with this battery, bilge pump, and the lights, can this attribute to the battery going bad? Always hooked it up to a trickle charger as well. Charges up fine, read 12.67V when fully charged but slow to turn the motor over. Will have to run out and pick up another battery. Any thoughts on the a deep cycle that has 600 CCA? or should I stick with a starting battery only?

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Took the top spark plug out and turned it over same thing. Took the bottom one out as well and the motor was turning over as usual but....light brown what I consider to be dirty water was coming out of the bottom spark plug hole... blown head gasket??

CApTaInGoOfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo273812.jpg
    photo273812.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo273813.jpg
    photo273813.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo273814.jpg
    photo273814.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo273815.jpg
    photo273815.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
That engine must have overheated. Can be from earlier or from now.
With that color at the head it has overheated hard, check the headgasket.

Maybe it is blown.