40hp ignition issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atl Sheriff

Recruit
First of all I will apologize as many have, for being the new guy. Secondly I will say I have searched and have been unable to find an answer to my issue. I recently acquired a 40 hp force outboard with the mercury ignition system. Unfortunately the outboard had been robbed of the switchbox and the long "candy bar" adapter that was used when a new red style stator was installed. I purchased a new switchbox 18495A11 and adapter but there is two wires that don't seem to wire up to anything? There is a red and a red with white stripe that are just hanging free. Maybe I got the wrong switchbox? I am stumped, and again appologize if this is a stupid question. I am at best a shady tree mechanic and am tryin to get this thing running. Please advise, you time is greatly appreciated.

Atl Sheriff

Recruit
Is there any additional information that is needed to trouble shoot this? I was told the engine is a 1995 if it helps. Thanks again to anyone who can tell me what these wires are for.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The Red and Red/White wires go to the corresponding wires from the stator. The Blue and Blue/White wires also go the the stator. The stator has two ignition windings in it that supply voltage to the switch box.

It sounds like the previous owner may have been try to "upgrade" the ignition system by eliminating the "candy bar" adapter.

Check to see how many and what color wires yo have coming out from the stator. Once you've determined that, we can check to see if you have the correct Switch Box. Sometimes it's a little bit of a challenge when someone else has been messing around with the ignition components. Regardless, once you get a good picture of what you're faced with, it should be fixable.

Atl Sheriff

Recruit
Morning, the stator has two yellow, a white w/green and a green w/white wire coming from it. I understand that this is a newer style red stator. The two yellows from the stator appear to match the two yellows that go to the rectifier. The white and green wires appear to match up to the wires on the candy bar adapter. The blue wire from the candy bar adapter appears to match the blue wire on the CDI/switch box. Strangely, when I apply 12 V to the red lead on the switchbox, the trim on the motor activates. I think somebody may have completely miss wired this engine? I called CDI for advice, and a very nice gentleman told me that the Redwire is not used. He made no mention as to what the red with white stripe was four or whether or not it needed to be hooked up.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I think I see what the problem may be. The stator that you have is for the 1996 and later Mercury CDM ignition system that does not use a Switch Box. It is not compatible with the Switch Box and may damage it if started. As far as I can tell, the correct stator for your motor has the corresponding Blue & Blue/White and Red & Red/White wires.

NOTE: Not sure if this applies to you situation, but on the CDI WEB site in the installation instructions for their replacement Switch Box for the 40HP motor, there is a warning stating that if you apply 12 volts to the Red wire on the Switch Box, it will damage the Switch Box.

I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for the ignition system that uses the "Candy Bar" adapter. Does your Switch Box have a Red & Red/White wire?

I think that what may have happened is the previous owner may have been trying to convert the whole ignition system to the later model Mercury CDM type and stopped half way? Regardless I need to find the correct wiring diagram if you want to stay with the Switch Box ignition......or you can finish the conversion to the CDM type ignition system. The parts for the CDM ignition system is available at a reasonable cost if you look at the used parts on the auction sites. You also need the coils, wiring harness, trigger assy and mounting plate. I converted mine to the CDM style ignition system and have been very pleased with it, however, it does take some electrical knowledge/experience as far as adapting the wiring harness etc.

I think that you may have several issues here. Just need to take each problem one at a time. Man made problems (created by previous owners/mechanics) can be really challenging since things don't follow a logical path of failure. If you have some patience, I'm confident that you can get through them all. There are a lot of helpful folks on this Forum that can get you through your problems. Before you get too deep into this motor though, have you done a compression check?

Marty011

Recruit
Is there any additional information that is needed to trouble shoot this? I was told the engine is a 1995 if it helps. Thanks again to anyone who can tell me what these wires are for.
Reading your post my grand son bought a Force 40hp 1995 OR118759 he took it out brought it right back with no start no power this engine literally shook itself apart starter broke off switch box mount coil mount starter solenoid all broke off also the fuel pump I spent all weekend fabricating brackets finally finished now I have no spark do you still have that engine if so can you take a picture of the wiring can’t find too much info on. The web it’s like it’s a ghost engine i believe that I am running into the same problem as you did

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Reading your post my grand son bought a Force 40hp 1995 OR118759 he took it out brought it right back with no start no power this engine literally shook itself apart starter broke off switch box mount coil mount starter solenoid all broke off also the fuel pump I spent all weekend fabricating brackets finally finished now I have no spark do you still have that engine if so can you take a picture of the wiring can’t find too much info on. The web it’s like it’s a ghost engine i believe that I am running into the same problem as you did
Please start a new thread. It's been more than 4 years since the OP visited the forum.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.