force 85

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1986 force 85 with # 856X6L and Im wondering if it a dual or single exaust?. Trying to find a new prop for it and it asks if its dual or single. Second I was getting ready to clean carbs and I took off the air box and I noticed it has a hose on the bottom that connects from the box to the lower intake. What is that for? its loaded with all kinds of crap that needs to be cleaned pronto but I still need to know what is its purpose. Its a new to me motor and trying to learn a little bit about it and yes I have a manual but its a clymer and it just has to much info on many other force engines. Any and all help is welcome Thanks PeteJ

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
if the lower unit is original white it is single exhaust... if it's black the way to tell is look at were the water pickups are - if they are on the round bullet it is single exhaust - it they are higher up on the flat part of the lower unit it is dual exhaust.

singlevsdual.gif

post a picture of the hose you are referring to

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
That hose at the bottom of the air box collects the gas/oil mixture that sometimes accumulates and feeds it to the intake to be burned up. The fitting on the air box (or maybe on the intake....can't remember which off hand) has a small metered hole so that it only allows so much to go into the intake.

It's not uncommon for some gas/oil mixture to leak out of the carburetors into the air box when you tilt the motor all the way up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can use both types of props.
​Just make sure the hardware is installed right.

Add a pic of your prop?

Yes clean the plenum and the hose/fitting.

​Sent you a PM

pete j

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the info it is a single exhaust the drain hole looked like the engine sat for years and will post pic of prop soon as possible. Again Thanks alot