Smoke in the cowl

George74

Cadet
I have a 1996 force i have noticed smoke in the cowl when i start the engine after running the motor on a fishing outing i am noticing a small amount of water in the Cowl! Any ideas way thanks for the help

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey bud,

Smoke in the cowl is usually from a bad powerhead gasket. It is the gasket that is under the powerhead and on the adapter plate. If there is a leak there exhaust will come through and fill up the cowling. Often this leads to the engine coughing and stalling when the hood is on (because the carbs will draw in CO2 and oil smoke.)

Unfortunately I have seen, with my own two eyes, 2 force motors that have had this issue. I think it is a fairly common problem on these motors. Get you a factory manual and see what powerhead removal entails for that engine.

One other thing, check all your wiring and make sure you arent smoking any wires!!!!!!!!!

Water could be from many things. Easiest would be leak in the telltail hose or where the telltail elbow goes into the block.

George74

Cadet
How much do u think i shop will charge to fix something like that just a rough guess thanks alot

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yikes bud, probably not a real pretty number. Anything I said would just be a jab at it. Also, what HP are we talking here?

I know if I had to do it, it would take 1-2 hours to lift the fully dressed powerhead off the block, an hour or two to clean the old gasket off adapter plate and powerhead, and another hour to drop the powerhead and bolt her back down. Gasket probably $30-40.

Most shops charge $85 an hour so you can imagine that will get pretty pricey.

Too bad you don't live around me, I would do a 1/2 day project like that for around $200-$250 plus parts.

This is all assuming that I am even correct on your problem (which I suspect I am.)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Another place it could leak exhaust is in the driveshaft housing.
​There is a seal at the bottom that can leak.
It's not an easy job fixing either one.

And yes you can run it like it is.
You just might have to run with the cover off.

Fill out the signature and add the motor's ID.
​Then an location?? You might be closer to someone who can help?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Got to click on your name in the top right corner and set it up there.

You can also just tell us right here where you are located. Can replace the driveshaft housing seal as well as powerhead gasket while you are under there. Both require powerhead removal

George74

Cadet
I am in Covington Georgia will have to get the serial number once i get off work

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
One other item to check is make sure the lower adapter plate isn't cracked allowing exhaust to get into the cowl area.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When I saw the name of this posting, I suddenly heard a Parody of a Deep Purple Song.