considering a Force 9.9 that needs a carburetor

CW4AVRET

Cadet
Hello,

I currently have a Force 15hp that has served me well but the local reservoir is limited to 9.9hp. I have found a motor for $100 that turns but the owner says it needs a carburetor. For a $100 it seems like a deal, I am not sure how plentiful the carburetors are as well as other parts.

Can someone provide their experience?

Thanks,
Fred

PS: I know the impeller could be an issue too just due to time.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not worth it, a non running Force 9.9 is barely worth it's weight in scrap metal.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Too many possible issues, and replacement parts are a problem depending on the year. Maybe that's why the guy is selling it.

You'd really have to be really familiar with that motor to make a good call on it. Unless you don't mind the time and cost of a "project" motor, I'd kind of shy away from it.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
It may be a good parts motor if the powerheads and lower units are the same. If the hoods interchange put the 9.9 hood on your 15 and go that route. But not for $100.

Nordin

Commander
IF it is a 1985-86 or earlier it is a rebanded Chrysler and parts from Chrysler will fit.
If it has magneto ignition that is a oldschool typ, I would buy it. Easy to work on, just basic engineering. LU are the same up to about 1991-92.
Parts are available at Ebay and Franz Marine is also a source for parts.

CW4AVRET

Cadet
Too many possible issues, and replacement parts are a problem depending on the year. Maybe that's why the guy is selling it.

You'd really have to be really familiar with that motor to make a good call on it. Unless you don't mind the time and cost of a "project" motor, I'd kind of shy away from it.

Could be a good teaching engine for the son-unit.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can get a much better motor with easy parts availability for the same or slightly more, I've owned and worked these motors, they aren't terrible, but there are much better options for a project motor. Any OMC motor will have parts available at the local dealer or online at a very good price, and right away, no searching for bits and pieces that may not be in good condition.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Any outboard can be a project.
Any outboard can be a piece of JUNK.
Neighborhood kid bought a 92 8hp Eveude.
​Paid $200 and has put over $400 in parts(not including labor)
​And the piece of crap still isn't right.

​I had a 82 6hp Johnson. Got it at a great price.
​Guy said it just needed a tune up.
I spent DAYS working on it.
Took it to a OMC dealer and he (25years exp) couldn't fix it.
​It was showroom condition.
​Last I saw it was setting on a stand in his showroom.
A display model.

​The older Force/ Chrysler smaller motors are as good as any Johnson, Mercury.

Some people just don't like them.

Do what flyingscott suggested.

Depending on the year?? the parts for any motor can be found.
Some just a LOT more expensive.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess I might be of somewhat of a suspicious nature....but I would be suspicious of the carburetor being the problem....unless it is just not there. Rarely does a carburetor need replacing. They need cleaning and adjusting....but I wonder what happened to it that would require replacing it?

Many times the carburetor gets blamed for some other hard to diagnose problem.

Like has been said above....buy it (or consider buying it) if it has the magneto ignition; shy away if it is electronic ignition. Use your best judgement to ascertain the over-all condition it is in.

If it truly does just need a carburetor.....offer him $50.00 and start an e-bay search. Should be an ok deal IMHO.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I've seen motors that the owner started working on and figured "hey, I'll clean the carb"
​They remove it and it NEVER finds it's way back and somehow disappears??
​The parts are out there!!!
Just make sure they fit??