1980 Chrysler 6HP Link and Synch Question

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hello....

Can anyone tell me the procedure for setting the carburetor linkage? I am assuming that the scribe mark on the mag-plate cam is a reference and should mark the spot on the cam that should make first contact with the carb-linkage follower.....but when I set it that way the carburetor butterfly fails to open fully. I suspect that other parts have adjustments that have been messed with,,,,,and I would like to do it "by the book".

Maybe it's the timing that has been messed with; there is evidence that the mag plate has possibly been removed in the past. So; the information on setting the timing would be appreciated as well....

Maybe someone that has the manual can scan or photograph the pages that pertain to this and post them here? I would appreciate it.

Thank You

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read the first couple of posts in this forum.
One has the link and sinc procedures.
​It should cover your motor.

​The static timing is also covered.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
jerryjerry....I did read those posts first. They seem to deal with multiple carburetor motors.....and motors with much more elaborate ignition systems than my little 6HP motor has. Mine is just a rope start fishing motor with the WICO-Prestolite points -condensor-coil ignition.

Nordin

Commander
Points should be set at 020 at highest part at the cam curve.
Throttle pick-up should be as follow. When the roller touch/intersect the throttle cam it should be at the mark or just a bit to the right of it. The butterfly should start to move when the roller is just at the mark or to the left of it.

You adjust it with the screw at the carb linkrod, at the left of the roller.

The butterfly should open fully after this adjustment IF everything is right, BUT if parts been mess with then ?????
The last move of the butterfly to horisontaly is not necessary, it does nothing to the performance.

Last edited: