Slow boat

MBJJ2369

Seaman
Hello all,

I am new to the forums and really not sure how all this works, so if I do something wrong I apologize.

I have a 1988 Blue Fin with a 1988 50 HP Force. I just bought the boat last year and didn't get to take it out or tinker with it much. The first trip out, the top end speed was 5 MPH. I took it to the shop and was told it could be several things and it would be a replace parts until it was fixed. I replaced the coils, wires and spark plugs and got it up to 15 MPH, but it would not plane out no matter how I trimmed it. Should this boat run faster? Will a faulty stator or trigger cause it not to reach top speed? Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

jbcurt00

Staff member
What Blue Fin? How long?

An 18ftr w a 50 will be a slug

16ft it wont be fast, but ought to plane if its not holding water below deck

A 14-15ftr should be fairly easily planed w a 50hp

Get a tach to record/report RPMs at WOT, even if thats only 15mph.

What prop? # of blades, pitch and diameter?

MBJJ2369

Seaman
Its 16ft, only a little water came out the last time I pulled the drain plug after being on the water for 6 hours.. It has a 3 blade prop, boat is in storage so I can't say what the pitch is. I will try to get by there tomorrow to find out. Not sure what WOT means. Boat has no tach, how can I measure RPMs?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
WOT= wide open throttle.
​They sell an item called a tiny tach or something like that.
​I bought one on e-bay or was it amazon for under $15
​It gets hooked to the top coil wire and gives a reading of the rpm's.

Does the motor rev up when your going or just run slow?
If it revs up and doesn't go anywhere?? it could be a bad hub in your prop?
​Remove the prop, and mark a line across the rubber hub.
Reinstall and go for a ride.Running at full throttle.
Then check the hub.
The 88 came with 2 different ignition systems.
One had points and the other a CDI or powerpack system called a Prestolite system..
Need to know what you have?

You can't add pictures until you have 5 posts.
​You can add pics using a photo sharing site like photo bucket or something like that.

​But before that?? do a compression test, then a spark test.
​I know you said you replaced the coils, the coils can go bad but not usually.
​The trigger leads can break(Prestolite) under the shrink wrap and cause a no fire situation.

​The tank?? built in or the 6 gal. portable?
Built in: make sure the vent line is open.

​But do the compression and spark check FIRST!!!

Oh yea WELCOME!

MBJJ2369

Seaman
Thanks for the welcome

The tank is a 6 gal. portable and I have just ordered a tiny tach and compression tester. . They should hopefully be in soon. As soon as they do, I will test the motor and see where I stand. Going to have to wait a bit to test the prop, unless I can achieve the same from running the motor in a barrel. Here is a picture of the coil.
Force coil.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Nope gotta run it in the water.(unless you have a HUGE tank and proper test wheel)
​You have the electronic ignition and no points.

Let us know when you get the comp tester.

MBJJ2369

Seaman
I know it has been a while, but I have finally found the time and good enough weather to test the compression. The top cylinder was 120 and 122. I found another prop and weather permitting will take the boat out tomorrow. Will let yall know how it goes.

MBJJ2369

Seaman
Took the boat out today. With the new prop on the boat I got it up to 26 mph. Not sure if this is as fast as it should run but I am happy with it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Remember it's only a 50!!!
You have a tach?
​What kind of load are you carrying ?
​Some think that 2-3fat people(me and my brother) and 2 dogs and 2 cases of beer and bait and the neighbor kid and the boat should run just as fast??
​6gal. gas 1 person and a cooler then see how fast?
What is the top rpm's at wide open?