Starting Engine without Key

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a simple question I hope. I removed my 1989 Force Outboard 85hp from my boat. How do I start it when its disconnected from the ignition key? The attached pictures was before I disconnected. Obviously I had to disconnect all the wires on the left.

Attachments

• photo258520.png
    photo258520.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You jumper the starter. 2-stroke marine outboards use the key to kill the motor, not supply energy for the ignition

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You jumper the starter. 2-stroke marine outboards use the key to kill the motor, not supply energy for the ignition

Some 2 strokers do use switched 12 volts from the key to energize the ignition and turning the key off kills the ignition. So in that case, 12 volts is jumpered to the right place on the terminal strip, then the solenoid is jumped to start the motor and to shut it off, remove the 12 volt jumper to the terminal strip.

On this motor, I don't know.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
You can actually pull start it with a rope wrapped around the flywheel. There should be notches on the outer perimeter of the flywheel to do just that. Tie a knot on the end of the rope, place the rope on a notch so the knot doesn't allow the rope to slip out. Wrap the rope around the flywheel. Pull with everything you've got. Helps to have a short rod on the other end of the rope to act as a handle for pulling.

If you don't want to do that, take some jumper cables and a 12volt battery. Attach the positive cable to the 12v supply terminal on the starter solenoid. This is the terminal that has the battery cable across from the terminal that goes to the starter. Attach the ground to the engine block. Take a jumper wire and momentarily jump between the connection that goes to the positive terminal on the starter solenoid (where you attached the positive jumper cable) and the small terminal on the starter solenoid that has the yellow wire attached to it. You might see a small spark, but that's normal. When you do this, the starter will engage. When you take the jumper wire away, the starter will dis-engage. I've also us a pair of needle nose pliers as a jumper too.

To stop the motor, the easiest thing to do is to put you hands over the mouth of the carburetors. This will flood the motor and cause it to stall out.

To kill the the ignition system, you need to locate the White wires that come from the CD Modules to the ignition system terminal block. Take a jumper wire and ground this terminal and the ignition system will stop producing spark.