Rebuilding Force 125 Carbs, Questions

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I have a 87 Force 125 that the carbs seem to leak out gas. Is this normal when Tilted/Trimmed?

I don't think they leak with the engine running or when the outboard is straight, Is it normal to have gas/oil because of the angle it gets?

If I go to rebuild, Is there anything special that needs to be done?

What Kit number would I need? Boat runs fine, just leaks out of the front/intake hole. I looked on iBoats, they have too many selections I don't know which I need.

How do you fine tune the carbs together?

Should I get a fuel filter?

Please share Part Numbers or Links to products I will need.

Thanks.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
a little gas leaking out when tilted is normal. All you need to do is clean them. Just watch out for the needle and seats under the floats if you get that detailed. I would clean the seats with air or something mild bc they have rubber in them. See the FAQ on carb sync at the top of this forum. I think it's the 2nd sticky. You can reuse the gaskets or get them at Crowley marine. Have you tested compression yet.

As for the filter you can put and inline filter between the fuel pump and lower carb

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I use Dawn detergent or any can spray(wally world) to clean carbs.
I use soap and water for the easy stuff. and the carb spray for the hard deposits.
​Some solvents(like the stuff in my parts washer) will actually swell or even melt some O-ring's and plastics.
​The swelling will go away if left out to dry for a couple of days.
​Usually if the motor's running the carbs probably don't need to be worked on but since it's a "new to you" motor I'd think about doing it.
YES!! add a filter between the pump and the carb.G-2 G-3 or G-12 Fram.
​There is a screen filter in the pump but it doesn't work as well as a paper element type.
Usually the parts inside don't need to be changed.
​The seal under the float bowl, spray some WD on that area before you try to take it apart.
​The seal is usually cork and can rip in a second.
Just go slow and it might be ok??
​Like I said, Dawn and water and I blow dry the carb.
Leaving WD or anything else could make it harder to start after cleaning.
The blow dry allows the fuel to get in and not mix with any solvents.
​IF?? it's not been messed with the carbs don't need any linkage adjustments.
They can usually just go back to the initial mounting position.

​The timing: if you don't touch it won't need any adjusting.
Do a static timing but don't change anything unless you KNOW it needs it??

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
a little gas leaking out when tilted is normal. All you need to do is clean them. Just watch out for the needle and seats under the floats if you get that detailed. I would clean the seats with air or something mild bc they have rubber in them. See the FAQ on carb sync at the top of this forum. I think it's the 2nd sticky. You can reuse the gaskets or get them at Crowley marine. Have you tested compression yet.

As for the filter you can put and inline filter between the fuel pump and lower carb

I have not checked compression yet, I keep forgetting my compression gauge at work.

I will clean everything and monitor how bad it leaks. But as you can see in the picture, there's a good amount of oil/gas.

I saw the sticky, but was confused about the timing part. I didn't know if that was only if you changed engine timing or something...

I'll use dish soap and clean everything on the outside.

I'll see how bad it leaks once all the residue is gone. I just don't want to catch fire. It's hard to tell right now if it's new or old.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Compression Test is done. 120 across all 4 cylinders.

Carbs are cleaned externally, and now waiting to run the engine once I get the water pump reinstalled hopefully this weekend to run the boat and monitor.

Thanks