Force 85 model 856x8a NEED INFO!!!!!

Mikhail2400

Recruit
I recently inherited a Force 85 model # 856x8a and i know absolutely nothing about this motor. Its been setting up for a minimum of 12-18 years. I dont know if it ran when it was parked or any thing else i need to know. It has had the motor cover on the whole time but it has sat out in the weather mounted on a fiberglass bass boat. From what ive read i believe it was made in or near 1988 and being that old i guess its safe to assume its a 2 stroke.

What i would like to know; What reputation does this motor in general have. What i mean is are they considered prone to lots of problems or are they difficult to keep in tune? Or are they considered to be one of those rare motors which seem to have left the factory perfectly engineered and keep ticking no matter how hard you run them?
The other thing i need to know is; How should i go about getting this motor ready to fire up? Im sure i will most likely need to replace the fuel lines and do a visual check for bad wiring or other obvious problems. Other than draining all the fluids and replacing them can anyone think of some other vital step i should do before turning this motor over?

Thank you for your time and expertise on this subject. Sincerely Mikhail2400

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you are right that is an 88. See this link for tips to wake er up: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...231-awakening-a-sleeping-outboard-by-boatbuoy

one thing to note if you change the gear oil do not mess with the small recessed flat head screw on the side of the bullet - the drain in an allen screw under the bottom not the side. There are 2 larger flat head screws at the very top of the gear case that are fill and vent.

mix your gas 50:1

as for the motors they are actually really good but just not high tech - mine is 32 years old and we use it 30-40 days a season.

if you are not mounting it to another boat I would be a little leary of running it on that old bass boat - if the boat sat that long the transom is probably shot.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

I have 2 88/85hp on my boat.
​The motors are a good running dependable units.
They just don't have the high tech stuff the newer motors have.
They also use a bit more fuel than the newer.

​The timing is usually something that doesn't change unless YOU tinker with it???
​The 1st thing I'd do is get a hot battery, remove the plugs and do a compression test.
Then check the oil in the lower unit. Make sure you use the drain and not the screw on the side of the lower.(see pic)
Then check for spark.

​Then do the wake up that SkiDad suggested.

You can just about bet the carbs are clogged.
I use dawn detergent to clean these.
​They have the old brass floats so be careful when handling.

Attachments

• photo227540.jpg
    photo227540.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2

Mikhail2400

Recruit
Thanks for the info folks i really appreciate it. I do not plan on trying to run the old bass boat by any means. I plan to mount the motor along with the steering cable and other steering components, assuming they are in good shape, on a pontoon boat. Gets real old sitting in a 13' jon boat for 24 hours during catfish tournaments so really want a pontoon for that. I will follow yalls advice as i learned a long time ago that if you want good info on something mechanical go to the related forum.

Ok folks i have to ask, what does that recessed screw do that im not supposed to touch? LOL

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
that screw holds the shift rod in place - if you take it out you might not be able to shift any longer as the part inside will fall down.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If your switching to a pontoon??
You'll need to reprop.
​Probably to a 15p maybe even a 13 depending on the size of the toon??