What's my parts motor worth?

1363bran87

Recruit
Hi there all, I'm new to the forum but have been reading around and I'm trying to get a ball park answer to what exactly I can expect when selling a used force 150 outboard. I ended up buying a later model force to replace this one when I decided it was time to stop spending money on it. I've had a few offers front $125 to $300 and turned them down because I figured it had to be worth more. So here's what I'd like to know what do a good lower unit, set of 3 carbs , flywheel and motor block sell for individual? Or a whole parts motor ( not running) prestolite 150 with good compression Usually sell for? should I just take what I can get or hold out for a serious buyer? Or part out the big stuff on ebay and trash the rest? Any feedback would help . Thanks again fellas

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

What would you pay for a non-runner. That's a good place to start.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ unless I was desperate for a specific part, $50 - 100 max for a parts motor

1363bran87

Recruit
Well out of curiosity whatso the lower unit by itself worth it only have eBay to go by and the cheap ones look like they're listed about 300 and up I take it that's not what they go for?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The market for those is small, and getting smaller fast, dump it for the next offer you get.

​I have a friend that had an outboard repair business, after losing his lease he moved everything to my place, maybe 200 motors (all OMC) in varying states of repair, both running and non running. His idea was to part them out, so he took every motor apart and cataloged each piece, then went on every site like eBay and listed them. After about a year and a few hundred dollars in sales he took everything to the recycler and got the cash. The market for these old parts just wasn't worth the hassle of dismantling the motor and parting it out.

1363bran87

Recruit
Well alright this is good to know, I may just keep a few parts as back up for my new motor and scrap the rest, sounds like it's just not worth much thanks for the input.......good boating boys

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It's with $0.30 per pound as mixed scrap

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
the only real value to me is the lower unit - i think you could get 200 for that pretty easily. I would sell the rest for 200 (missing the lower unit)

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Where I live we're about 1500 miles from any salt water, and our boating season is about 15 days. So engines here last a really long time once they do start to break down the parts are NLA or it's not cost efficient to buy new parts. These engines are 35+ years old and people know As soon as you spend the money to fix something something else on the engine is going to break.There is a pretty good demand for used parts and donor engines in my area. Especially 89-94 Force engines.

The going rate on used parts in my area can be as high 1/2 price of new for some parts, and a lot of these Force parts are getting harder and harder to come by. Gearcases are right up there. I would say that a parts engine does have value to part it out but the problem is people have to know you have the parts, and annually listing something on ebay, or craigslist ain't gonna do it. Used parts is a waiting game you have to have the patience, and space. It could take years if EVER to find someone who actually needs this part. That's a lot of reposting. People have to know you have it. We have a few mom and pop shops in my area who do sell used parts I'm sure they do quite well.All the dealers in our area know who they are and send a lot of business their way b/c they know that people don't want to spend big bucks buying parts for these older engines. Or when you do price them out a new part they say "I only paid 300 dollars for the whole boat!" /facepalm

Personally I don't know how they do it. People with this older stuff have the fleamarket mentality and people expect you to give them stuff for free since it's so old and "You'll never find another person that's gonna need this." They don't realize you are providing a service having these older parts. Diissasembling parts takes time and space and neither are free. Then after painful negotiating they're gonna expect some sort of warranty? NO thanks I'll just donate the parts/part engine to the places in town and one day when my sales department buys something and i'm in a pickle to get an older or NLA part I know where to go.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Parting it out and selling at the right time of the year is key in selling any used part.
​Like ondarvr said some older stuff especially OMC just doesn't sell.
​I had some Evinrude parts that I was sure would sell. After trying for a year I managed to sell 1/2 of the things I listed.
Listed some things from Mercury 2-3 years ago, an alt. and starter for a 98/225. They are still in my shed???
​Force parts sell a lot better than OMC.

​I just bought a pair of 1988 125 short shaft Forces.
​They set unused for probably 10 years.

In the process of dismantelling them now and fixing them for re-sale.

​Both lower units seem to be good.
​Ignition systems ??
The power heads have good comp.

I plan on selling when the weather up north breaks.

The professional robbers on e-bay want a BUNCH of money for their stuff.
Saw one guy selling a lower for $500.

I sell them for about 150 and am a lot better on other parts as well.

Keep the parts you can use and sell the rest.

​The more you charge the longer you'll have them setting on the shelf.