90 Force won't start unless motor is tilted up!

jlock

Cadet
I have a 1990 90hp Force outboard. The last couple of months I have started it 3 times. All 3 times I had to tilted the motor up before it would start. It runs fine when I put it in the water. Any ideas on this problem? The motor does turn over, but will not start until it is tilted up.

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It may be your starting technique.

1. Lower motor so that it is at or close to the normal running position. Be aware of the water depth so you don't damage the prop when you engage the gear case.

2. Prime the motor by squeezing the rubber primer bulb 4 or 5 times until it becomes firm. If it does not get firm, then you may have a bad or leaking needle valve in the carburetor(s).

3. Advance your throttle handle forward in the "Neutral Fast Idle" position. To place your throttle into the "Neutral Fast Idle" position, pull the throttle handle out towards the center of the boat and push the throttle handle forward. You may have a button on the throttle handle right at the pivot point of the handle that you have to push to release it. The handle will move out about a quarter of an inch. By pulling the throttle handle out, it disengages the gear case and the propeller won't turn.

4. As you turn the ignition key, press the key inwards to engage the choke. Do not engage the choke for more than 3 or 4 seconds at a time, otherwise you may flood the motor. Very easy to flood the motor and really make it difficult to start. You can continue to keep the key turned to the start position without pushing in to engage the choke until the motor starts.

Once the motor starts, give it a short warm up then return the throttle handle back to the neutral position, and it will pop back in. Now the gear case is engaged so that when you move the throttle handle forwards or backwards, the propeller will turn.

jlock

Cadet
Thanks. I'll try this, but the motor has cranked easily for the past 3 years..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you do anything to the motor before this problem started?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you tilt the motor to start, how high are you raising it? The prop out of the water?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I had the same problem and never did figure it out.
It eventually went away.
I think it came from setting.

​Is the choke closing all the way?

One thing you can do: spare tank, add 1 gal of gas and the right amount of oil for the gas and 1 pint of a product from Chevron.
It's in a black or grey bottle. Long skinny neck.
The lable says Chevron with Techron.

This mixture will clean the residue from the fuel system.

This mix(without the oil) will do a really good job on your vehicle too.

​Bought a Ford Ranger with a V-6 and fuel injection/throttle body.
​Ran ok but not as good as as I thought.
Did the Chevron trick and could feel the difference as I drove down the road.
​Make sure the fuel tank is almost empty before adding the mix.