Going nuts! 75HP chrystler ignition issue. Please help

tondss

Seaman
Hello my name is Tony I have a year 83 75 HP chrystler outboard model number 758H3F. We lost spark on Oct. 8. I replaced the CDI box with a power pack from cdi model number 115-3301. We also replaced the distributer wheel. Went to start it no spark. So then we changed the trigger eye inside the distributer part # 135-4048. I prayed it would work. Well we only have 2 cylinders sparking. So we changed all the plug wires. When we Spin the distributer wheel forward 1 and 2 spark no 3. Then we spinner it backward and 2 and 3 spark. I'm completely lost at this point will someone please help me. 559-246-4982 thank you!

tondss

Seaman
Update: I just realized when I purchased the distributor shaft it was for a 4 cylinder motor not 3. It seems that the trigger eye is blocked by plastic when it turns. Now I'm searching for a 3 cylinder electronic distributor shaft. If someone has a picture of one that would be great. I want to see how many wholes there are vs a 3 cylinder shaft.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
jerryjerry05 should be along shortly... with the passing of Frank, he is probably the next best Chrysler guy

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Mastertechmarine or franz marine or Nordin who posts here would be able to help.
I don't know much about the older Chryslers.Sorry.
​Put the part #s in e-bay? or google.
Or send Nordin a PM.

​What I know: the dist. shaft is basically the same just the 3 cyl shaft has 3 prongs and the 4 has 4.
​What's wrong with the old dist. shaft and the wheel?

​Franz Marine sells parts for the older Chryslers and Valley Sales in Prudenville, Mi. is a good place for parts and info.

Nordin

Commander
I have not worked so much with the electronic distributer but have one running 75Hp with that typ of dist.
Have changed the preamp in that one, but it was a long time ago.
Also have one spare electronic dist. and may disassemble it to study, if you need more details.

The operation of it is as follow.
The preamp is a switching device instead of points and contains a light-emitting diod and a light-sensitive switch.
The dist. rotor has a cup/disc with windows. A three cylinder has three windows (0, 120 and 240 dgr) and a four cyl. four windows (0, 90, 180 and 270 dgr).
At each window when spinning the dist. the diod is able to trigger the light-sensitive switch and signals the CD module to discharge the stored current into the plug.