1990 Force 90 Bogs

bauma75517

Recruit
Hard lesson learned. I Purchased a 1992 Starcraft Fish and Ski with Force 70 hp in August 2015. Ran perfect up to the last run of the season when I started to feel a slight power loss but blew it off until the next season in May of 2016. First run on the lake 5 minutes into WOT the engine shut down hard. I gave it a moment and it fired right up but i could not get it to come up on plain without it wanting to stall. This continued for weeks of trial and error. I did all the recommended stuff like clean and rebuild carb, rebuild fuel pump, change fuel filter, check the fuel tank vent, bypassed fuel system with an external fuel tank and hose, and lastly static timed the ignition. The simple truth about what my problem actually was is when I went to check the ignition timing, when I went to loosen the jamb nut on the timing advance/retard block, I could turn it by hand and it wasn't even close to being tightened up. Turns out that the timing adjuster screw was probably just vibrating back and forth in and out of the correct timing degree range of 28 to 32 degrees. So I set the timing, applied some Loctite the the jamb nut and secured it snugly, an hit the lake. Never had another issue after that. The entire time during that few weeks of trying to find the issue I kept reading "check the timing...check the timing" but I kept telling myself "the timing can't be that bad because it starts and sometimes I could gradually ease it up on plane for a little while. If I would have just LOOKED at the jamb nut I would have been able to see that it was about a eighth of an inch from being tightened against the locking point. My wife was standing right next to me when I discovered this and just laughed and called me a dumb ass!

amcervantes

Cadet
Well got it out and tested. Spark on all cylinders is good but now I have a fuel issue. I checked the filter and cleaned the carbs last weekend. Whenever I go wot it surges. Had it up to 30 then it would start bogging after a while I could only get to about 25. I would push the key it would bog then haul butt until it would bog again. Only at wot. I'm thinking something is plugging in one of the carbs or it's the pump. I checked the filter and it's clear. All fuel lines were replaced.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i wouldn't think it's the fuel pump - i would suspect the float levels are off - did you check that when cleaning them ?

amcervantes

Cadet
No I didn't check to see if they were off. Can you give me a run down on how to do that. Your pretty much teaching me everything about this motor. Hahaha. It's getting closer to being 100% every week.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Since it took a while to happen?? it could be the vent hose has a clog and it's starving for fuel.??
Built in tank? or portable?
​The wasps like to get in those small places(hose) and build a nest for their young'uns.
The tank, could have gunk in the bottom and it's blocking the pickup??

​IF???? you cleaned the carbs and didn't change anything???? then the float levels should be the same.

You tube has lots of video's on setting the floats if you need.

amcervantes

Cadet
Thanks I'll let you know what I find. All hoses are new. Has a built in tank but pulled all oil fuel out trough the hose itself. I'm 100% sure it's not the tank. I'll pull the carbs and get back to you.

amcervantes

Cadet
Yeah I changed them all out when I had the carbs off the first time. Replacing the hoses is just good practice if there older there's no telling what could be inside.. I haven't been able to get the carbs off as of yet we had a snow storm this weekend so I should be able to get them off tomorrow if not today.

amcervantes

Cadet
Well I took the boat out today and it's running like brand new. Started right up and hauled butt. I am going to say there was something clogging the carbs. Cleaned them out and everything runs great. Thanks for all your help.