1990 Force 90 Bogs

amcervantes

Cadet
Ok guys I need some help I took my boat out yesterday and I couldnt get the boat over 8 mph. I found that the spark plug wire boots and springs were bad and arcing out of the boot. Replaced boots and springs and spark plugs. Put the muffs on and boat ran awsome in gear and at idle. When I took the boat out today it would not run faster than 8 mph. Every time I would go wot it would just bog down and die. When I would put it in reverse it would run faster than in forward got home put the muffs on and it would run wot. It doesnt like the load. Any suggestions? Im going to do a spark test for the coils and also clean the carbs. Anyone else have had the same problem?

amcervantes

Cadet
yesterday was the first day i took it out. that when i found out i had bad spark plug wire ends. I took it home and installed new plug ends and boots. Put it on the muffs yesterday and in drive it went up pretty good. Got it back on the water today and and whenever I put a load on it it just bogged. when I pulled the motor up out of the water it would power up like it was supposed to and then I would trim down put it in forward and it would bog back down. I checked compression today and it was 125-135 all cylinders. Checked all coils and spark is good. I pulled the carbs and inside 2 of them there was what looked like dried up gas in the float area possible plugging them up. 2 of the spark plugs had a lot of crap on them and the electrodes had alot of carbon on them. One spark plug was clear and had fuel on it. So I'm hoping that the crud was the problem. I just find it weird that in reverse it had full power and in forward had very little power.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Running good at idle or no load is normal.
​Clean the carbs, paying close attention to the jets.
The tiny holes get clogged.

Sounds like a fuel restriction somewhere?
Check the fuel pump and hoses .
​2 dirty and 1 clean plug sounds like it's only running on 2 plugs.
​Swap the coils around and see if that makes a difference?
​You can have spark when checking the fire but not when under load(stator, maybe the pack?

What kind of plugs?
​Gapless type?

ANY???? drops of water on the plugs?

amcervantes

Cadet
Well I'm on the water now. Cleaned the carbs last night. It goes up to 20 mph at wot but not any faster. I have a 17' foot lund. My Johnson would do like 30 at wot. Any more ideas. Running gapless only because that's what the parts manual said

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
What Rpm are you hitting at 20? Is it getting on plane ? Do you know what pitch prop you're running ?

amcervantes

Cadet
Well now that I'm home I rechecked the spark plugs because 2 still looked like they were working and one was not. Well guess what. While running it on the muffs. I unplugged cylinder 2 and there was no change in running operations I put my spark tested in and noticed no spark from the coil. So looks like I need a coil pack which seams weird because I checked all the coils last night for spark and all coils did.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try swapping the coils and see if the no spark follows the coil.
​I haven't seen but 1 coil go bad in 30+ years.
Since it's a 3 cyl and you have 2 packs and #2 is misfiring.
You can try to swap the power packs around.
The pack is divided into 2 parts.
1st part fires #1 and the other #2
Since it's the #2 the bottom pack can be swapped with the top pack and if it's the pack??That should fix it.

Also the trigger leads are VERRRRY tiny and they can break under the shrink wrap and cause that problem.
One of my motors would start and miss when first started.
​Then one day it wouldn't run right after starting.
The trigger lead was broken under the wrap.
I replaced all the connectors on both motors.

amcervantes

Cadet
Well you were right on the money. I swapped the coil and the coil pack works. Looks like the power pack is bad. I checked the little wires and they all look good.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The "little" wire can look good but they need to be pulled a little bit and see if the wires come out of the shrink wrap.
The wire can break and still "look" good. Mine did!!

amcervantes

Cadet
Well just checked the little wires and they are good but I did find out that the 2nd and 3rd coil pack spark plug wires are arcing near the pack and one along the wiring itself. So looks like I'll also be ordering 2 coil packs. If I'm not mistaken you can't replace the wires because their built in. Only reason for finding is because its dark out. Problem number 101.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can use heat shrink tuning and liquid electric tape to make a cover for the plug wire.
It's ugly but works!!

amcervantes

Cadet
Sweat Jesus sometimes I'm so dense. Being a diesel technician It did not hit me to save some cash and just switch the packs around. Oh well. I installed the newer used in and #2 is now firing. I'm going to test it out tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.