1987 125 flywheel loose but will not come off...

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
This has me stumped, paid a mechanic to work on this outboard and he did all the fuel work etc, but the engine will not go over around 2K rpm, having looked at every thread I can pull up on here, I decided to replace the stator, but the flipping flywheel will not come off, I have about a eighth of an inch up and down play with it on the shaft but it will not budge past that. I can feel that the magnets are loose, but even turning the flywheel while pulling up on it will not get it past whatever is stopping it. any ideas?

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Are you 100% positive that the flywheel is moving up 1/8" on the crankshaft and it's not the crankshaft and flywheel both moving up 1/8"?

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
Yes I am 100% positive, I have about five threads movement between the crankshaft and the flywheel up and down

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
That's a NEW one!!!
There shouldn't be anything holding it in lace?? Unless?
​There are 2 sets of magnets in the flywheel.

​You say the magnet is loose?
There is a long thin strip around the inside of the flywheel.
If that's come loose it could be catching on the stator????
​The center taper of the flywheel has 2 small magnets in the center exciter.
The rivets might have let loose and that's hitting the trigger??

I'd put a puller on it and try to lift it off.

Oh yea Welcome!!

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
Yeah I went through every forum I could find to see if something similar had happened and found nothing. I may end up cutting the flywheel off just to be sure I do not destroy anything on the motor trying to get it off (already killed one puller). it does have a slight "tilt" when you try the puller., so it is possible that the thin strip you reference could have caught something

That's a NEW one!!!
There shouldn't be anything holding it in lace?? Unless?
​There are 2 sets of magnets in the flywheel.

​You say the magnet is loose?
There is a long thin strip around the inside of the flywheel.
If that's come loose it could be catching on the stator????
​The center taper of the flywheel has 2 small magnets in the center exciter.
The rivets might have let loose and that's hitting the trigger??

I'd put a puller on it and try to lift it off.

Oh yea Welcome!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The magnetic strip is soft and pliable.
Shouldn't hold anything back at all.

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
I bought another harmonic balancer puller, just had company for the last week so have not been able to get back at it. have used heat and hammer along with the now deceased puller (threads stripped I was putting so much pressure on it). Going to take another shot at it tomorrow.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just bought a pair of 125's and was dismantling to see what was worth selling.
​The flywheel eventually came loose after an acetylene torch was used.
​Then it only lifted about 1/4 in.
​I got another bite with my BIG 3 jaw puller and pulled it past the rusted ends of the stator.
​The poles seemed to hold the magnet and eventually the wheel came off and when it did, the magnetic strip came loose too.
That's an easy fix if that happens to you?? it's an easy fix.
​One thing: glues that expand(like Gorilla Glue) don't use.
​The GG is a GREAT product but the expansion will make the strip swell and it won't work rite.

​The first motor I'm working on: the compression seems to be good..
​But I have to pull the head and see if there is any damage to the cylinders.
But 6 of the head bolts are FROZEN in place.

Luckily I have the patience of a saint or the whole thing would be used for scrap.

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
And the winner of the most pain in the a** flywheel to remove is the one with the flywheel key frozen to the flywheel... finally noticed tonight that the sticking point was centered on the key groove, no matter what position I put the flywheel. took about an hour, but it is off, think instead of reseating the magnets I will just find another flywheel.

Thanks for all the ideas

Bill

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A "used" wheel might have the same problems???
I've re-glued a bunch.
​Being as it turns and spins the magnet to the outside it doesn't take much to hold it in place.

​BUT!!! the surface MUST be spotless and the old glue completely off the magnet.
It doesn't need any special orientation as it fits all the way around the inside.

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
Just worried about the condition of the Key-way once I manage to pry the remains of the key out of it. and of course I have no idea how to re-glue the magnets

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
try Aerokroil to remove the key. Spray it wait 30 minutes, spray it again wait 5 minutes and then try removing

WLHARRISJR

Cadet
Thanks for all the help, was able to get the Magnets reglued, flywheel back on and boat back up and running.

Bill