'69 Chrysler 35 HP Prop Question

SeaStar69

Cadet
Hi - I'm looking for some advice on my prop. I'm pretty sure it's time for a new prop as I believe I'm experiencing cavitation. The engine would rev up and the boat would lose speed. It's done this in the past, but on the last trip out it occurred three times before I decided to head back in. Anyhow, it's a 10 x 10 prop on a 14' fiberglass 1969 SeaStar runabout. It's a pretty light boat and I was wondering if I could get a little more top end out of it with an 11 pitch prop. Anyone running a similar set-up who can comment?
Thanks,
Jim

Attachments

• photo256964.JPG
    photo256964.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256965.JPG
    photo256965.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo256966.JPG
    photo256966.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 1

Nordin

Commander
The 35Hp engine was delivered with stock prop 10 3/8 x 11 1/2.
Think a 10 x 10 prop for that boat will be to small. A 10 3/8 x 11 1/2 prop would fit pretty good.

BUT as you says it revs up and lose speed I think you have a spun hub. Remove the prop from the propshaft and make marks at the hub and the prop.
Put the prop back and run the boat and then check the marks after you have had a speed issue.

If the marks do not line up then the hub is spun.
I think these props can not be rehub soo you have to fine a good used at Ebay or a junkyard.

Last edited:

SeaStar69

Cadet
Thanks - I'll check the prop for a spun hub the next time I run it. However, it looks like new 10 3/8 x 11 1/2 props are available. I'll probably give one of those a try and keep the old one as a back up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There is a prop forum here.
​They're pretty good on props and where to buy.

​From the color of that prop I'd bet it's not from a 69.
​Looks like a 87+ it have any #s on it?
You sure the motors a 69?
Nice looking boat!!

SeaStar69

Cadet
No Title

Here's a better shot of the boat. I had to put a new floor and transom in it and rebuild the Holsclaw trailer. The motor was sound but needed some serious tuning to get it running right. It is definitely a '69 - I've got the original paperwork and registration tag for it. The guy I bought it from told me he changed the prop at some point - not sure why he chose a 10x10.

Attachments

• photo257017.jpg
    photo257017.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

wickware

Lieutenant
I have a 1970 35 HP Chrysler on a 1968 15? RayCraft with a prop stamped 10 1/4X12. It has been a fun fun and friendly project since 1984. Remember 35, 45 and-55 HP with Long Lower leg Units and one Carb Engines are said to be the same externally vs Piston bore and stroke.

My basic maintenance has been cleaning points due to over oiling points rubbing block wic causing an oil vapor and contaminated points (caused hesitation on WOT). One Impeller with age vs damaged, checked for water flow and Lower Unit?s oil?s condition ?Every Summer first?. Replaced ignition switch due to contacts vs cleaning but cleaned with TV Tuner spray afterwards. Re placed Temp Alarm with 12V auto horn horn, due to no sound testing. I feel Tarped caused some moisture problems with contacts.

We ran trotlines and fished close ?Summers Only? in East and North TX when water levels allowed. Search JOW in the Chrysler site to find info found on a number of repairs. Have Fun!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
He probably chose that one because it was "there" and it fit!!
​Most dealers have access to a prop repair company.
Send your s out and see if it can be re-hubbed.
​An old (nla) poster used to re-hub his own props.
​But when he passed that info went with him. :(

There's a few prop repair and supply places around.
​Millers Island in Md. is one and Marysville Prop in Mi.(if they are still open?)