Trim Moter Replacment and weird spark plugs

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day everyone,

I've come into a 1986 bayliner capri. -- it was a interior nightmare, but fully gutted now (another story)

I cleaned up the electrical, and was moving towards the outboard, which actually is in really great shape considering the age.

Anyway the Tilt is fried, and I've removed it. I've looked for replacements but it's unclear what I'm getting, it seems all the replacements parts sierra, arco, do not inclue the bottom of the unit where all the tubes connect into,.. is this normal? I do have the serial number, so if the bottom part of my power trim is ok, the replacement should simply screw into my old one? .. seems strange. which is why I'm asking here.

Next the spark plugs do not have the Ground Electrode, or insulator tip... It's like they were shaved flat at the bottom of the threads.. I have NEVER seen that before? Is that normal?... Each plug was very loose too I expected them to be seized tight but they were finger loose and came out easily; needless to say all four have to be replaced.

Any response is appreciated, and Happy Holiday All.

-Pantz

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
What engine? model # serial number# ?

The capri came in many sizes, with many different motors.

those are surface gap sparkplugs. very common

Tilt unit consists of many parts. hydraulic cylinder, hydraulic lines, pump and valve assembly, pump motor, wiring, relays or solenoids

Who knows what may have been done to that motor over the years.

We need make model and serial numbers, and may actually need photos to id what you have.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
you want NGK BUHX spark plugs - about 3 bucks a piece at autozone or other parts store.

most of the pumps in that era were Prestolite pumps with 2 wires. I believe you can get new ones online that will match up, but are you sure it's not working ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 86 Force had surface gap plugs. Normal.
I use Champion Plugs UL-18V

​The trim came in 2 parts an electric motor that drives the hydrolic pump on the bottom.
The "fried" part is it the electric motor or the pump?

They sell complete units but VERY expensive.
​You can get the pieces as low as $100 for the electric motor and $100 for the pump.
​But yours is an 86 it could have 2 different assemblies.
Pic of anything you have will help.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi!

As usual I'm humbled by everyone's willingness to help.

Thanks for the spark plug info, I consider that a closed issue.

The engine is Model number 1254x6B (those numbers are now very clear to me as those get used when searching for this part)
Serial number is 1853 (now that's a simple serial number)
I'm thinking this unit is the prestolite 3wire unit (1 black, 2 green for up/down) --that's what I saw anyway

Here's a couple pics
fried-trim.jpg engine-tag.jpg

I talked to a local guy who is trying to locate one for me, he think he has a couple laying around (hes got probably 50 torn down engines in his shop)

kind regards, and thanks again.

-Pantz

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
woops :

So I think the pump itself is ok. The motor may have been ok, but that head is charred!

I snipped wires taking it out, so I'm going to be looking for at least the entire motor, possibly the whole thing if that local shop comes up with something

I've kept all the components

-Pantz

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 different assy's.
The motor needs to come from a like motor.
ARCO Starters.
Contact them and they'll give you the part# for the motor then shop someplace else.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well hello again,

I took my four wins out this weekend and it's still running awesome thanks to everyone here for that :)

I'm ready to get into this bayliner enginer now (Force 125: 1254x6B), did some looking on what to do with an engine that's been idle for 5 yrs...

I'm reading a lot of procedures and tactics for inboard/sterndrives but not for outboards.

Boat was started, run on the water, and then winterized; 5yrs ago (maybe 6 now) then stored outside, uncovered for 2.5 yrs of that

Here's what i'm seeing a general overview:

1. take out plugs and almost for sure replace them.
2. fogg the cylinders, -- one article suggesting small amount of transmission fluid; lubricating rings and such...
3. drain and refill with fresh oil (what type?)
4. remove the coil wire (I'm gonna need to look that up)
5. manually turn the engine over to lubricate and get a feel for it

Assuming that ALL goes well:

6. get a nice fresh battery - reconnect coil
7. try and turn it over.
the internal gas tank is long gone, will be using an generic outboard setup.
some suggestions are to use a 50:1 ratio for extra protection

If I get past that:
8. replace the impeller
9. run it with muffs
10. dump all that oil and fill it again

Thoughts? Comments? Ridicule?

-Pantz

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You should start a new thread.

Do a compression test before you spend any $$
​Plugs: just wipe them off. They are a perma gap plug and hardly ever go bad.
​A tiny bit of WD in the cyl. A fogging will make it hard to start.
​Check the gear oil. The drain is on the bottom and hard to find. It's an allen headed set screw. The screw on the side of the case is a pivot pin and should NEVER be removed.
​Don't touch the coil wire.
​Turn it over after the WD

​Yes a hot battery and good connections.
​You MUST always mix the gas/oil 50-1 no oil injection on Forces.
Yes replace the impeller.
Check the gear oil after running a while.

pantaloonz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Jerry,

This thread is kind of long, but it's still all about the bayliner, I needed advice on the plugs and trim before attempting to start this old girl up.

and speaking of which; your post is 100% what I was looking for.. thank you very much, can't wait to try.
I'm researching compression test on outboards... :)

If you still want this in a new thread I will move it, but to me it's still right on point.

-Pantz