88' Force 85hp Power trim unit seems weak going up after replacing.

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well that cleared it up quite nicely Jerry. Thanks for the input. I had no idea about alot of that.

I suppose now the question is if i want to do some trolling for stripers, which is what my local lake has, what setup as far as trolling motors would i need for my 17ft Capri?

Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Get a 15hp 4 stroke.
​I HATE to say this Yamaha really make one of the better small outboards.
Mercury is still the best.
Firm believer in buying AMERICAN products.

​Too small a motor you'll regret it.
The outboard bracket, get the biggest you can find.
The small are floppy and won't work as well.

​One of the boats I service is a 23 ft. and it has a 9.9 Yam on it.
The motor runs good but in a wind it does NOTHING!!

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright I will look into those brackets for sure. We ended up going out again yesterday for about 7 hours and I made sure and not idle around for too long and i didnt notice any bogging down at WOT anymore. I cleaned the plugs as well as i could with soft brass brush and gas. Ill order another set to have just in case.

Good little motor so far with minor issues. The only thing we ran into out there this time was the bendix on the starter did not want to rise up on a few starts. It just spun in place. I tried cleaning the shaft under the bendix a little and it seemed to work i guess. We only tried about 3 other times after that as it was the end of the day. Id like to take it off and clean the splines. Do i simply just undo the stop nut on top and slides the bendix off? And if so is it a torque to yield? I think I read somewhere some of them have that on the starter?

Thanks again Jerry. You are extremely helpful. Ill have to ship you some beer one day ha!

Really having fun with this little boat so far. Hopefully it wont fall apart any time soon (knocks on wood)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The starter: the top nut just turns off.
​It's a pressure locking nut.
​The shaft has a worm gear that needs grease or oil.
Just don't add to much.
Too much and it seems to go up into the Bendix and ruin it.
​There is a rubber hub in there that if it gets grease it's no good.
Also if the battery is weak then the Bendix won't raise.
​Load check the battery?
Check the charging system?

DunbarLtd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Excellent. Sounds like a piece of cake to remove. And duly noted on the grease. Ill get that battery checked as well.

I havent checked the charging system yet but i assume i just use a voltmeter on the battery while in operation?

What voltage should i be looking for with this motor? Similar to a car system which is around 14v i believe???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's not as much as an automotive system.

Yes use any meter.

I think??The charging system should be working after the motor goes past 2000 rpm's.
​Then it will charge at all rpm's
​Just hook a meter to the battery and start the motor.
​Check the reading while off and then when running..

​A battery can read 13v and still be bad.
A load tester and a Hygrometer is a good thing to have if you want to do it right.

​Load testers, under 25$ at Harbor Freight,