Weak spark on chrysler 20 hp

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Originally I had no spark from one coil. I cleaned the points and set them to.020. I then had spark from that coil. I thought everything was fine, but upon further inspection i found that the spark is very weak-almost yellow-you can almost only see it in the dark. So is the coil bad, the points bad, or the condenser? Help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S- the spark plug wire from that coil is fairly stiff. The wire is not removable from the coil either.

Nordin

Commander
Might be a bad coil or condenser BUT I think it is because when you crank it with the manual starter you do not get the flywheel to turn so fast.

I would try to go on and tune it and the try to start it.
If it starts, warm it up check the cooling and adjust the carb.
If it continue to run fairly...... use it.

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Might be a bad coil or condenser BUT I think it is because when you crank it with the manual starter you do not get the flywheel to turn so fast.

I would try to go on and tune it and the try to start it.
If it starts, warm it up check the cooling and adjust the carb.
If it continue to run fairly...... use it.

I was cranking it with an electric drill on the flywheel nut. I did the same on the other coil/lead and had a strong spark. I am going to try to start it for the first time tomorrow. Hopefully it will fire on that cylinder but if it doesn't I hope it is just a bad condenser because the condenser is an easy to find aftermarket part, the coil and points are nearly impossible to find and if you do find them they are outrageously expensive and not really worth spending the money on for this old motor although I would love to get it running again after 25-30 years.