Stator color

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
1995 force 120hp has no spark. How can I tell if the Stator is the original Stator or the newer version. The color is red and you can't see the windings. I've read where the newer version didn't have a covering over them so they would not over heat. Thanks!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The red stator is the newer version of the OEM part, which is no longer made. There is an aftermarket manufacturer (CDI Electronics) that still makes a replacement that does not have the red composite or plastic covering with exposed windings.

There are several problems that can cause no spark, the stator being just one of them.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The OEM on your motor should have some markings or a tag??
outboardignitiondotcom has test procedures for your motor.
​Some tests can be done with a regular analog meter but you'll need a DVA or Peak Reading Voltmeter for the others.
​Even if the stator tests good doing the OHMs tests it can be bad.

Try unhooking the tach.
​Under the dash is a fuse panel, check the fuses, on some setup's there is a fuse that can stop the motor from running.

You have the flywheel off?
If not, then the flywheel key could be sheared?

redlinj

Petty Officer 1st Class
We had the fly wheel off but because of our inexperience we didn't check the magnets or key as we just wanted to replace the trigger assembly. The boat is now in storage but fortunately we still have access to it. The more i get into this the more intriging this problem becomes. This is my buddy's motor, but this has now become a challenge and obsession for the both of us. I'll keep iboats informed! Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The re=assembly on the flywheel the key can slip very easily.
​The magnets would have been evident if there was a problem??