Stubborn Force 85 / 125 Lower unit drain plug - FIX

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i picked up a lower unit 3 years ago that works great but could never get the drain plug loose - i cranked on that puppy with the correct 5/32 allen wrench - bent the wrench pretty good - then tried another. Eventually stripped it out - then tried a few torx sizes - i think i had used a few cheap quality T25 torx and no luck. I gave up 3 years ago and have just been draining it by taking out 1 bolt in the prop spool behind prop anode.

i wanted to try again this year and used this AeroKroil and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then came back and hit it again - in the mean time I picked up a better quality Torx T27 - pounded it in there and turned and it came loose. I'm really sure the AeroKroil was the main reason it came out

NOTE - wipe off excess as it can take the paint right off (as you can see in the picture)

IMG_0400.JPG IMG_0401.JPG

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've used Aero Kroil for years, and swear by it. It is the " Oil that creeps! " and breaks stuck bolts and nuts like nobody's businesses.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I use a small torch if the screw isn't coming out.
​There are no seals or anything that can be hurt from the heat.
The screw can be drilled out and an "easy out" used to remove.
There is a "boss" made into the area around the hole and if needed you can tap the hole to a bigger size.

​I've never been able to make the screw seal no matter what I used.
Pipe tape, pipe goop, nothing seems to work.
​It always seems to weep a small amount.
​I just change/ check the oil a lot as the drives are getting scarce.
​I do have a spare but would hate to use it.