To fog or not to fog

Bkok33

Seaman
Ok I have a question for you all. Should I fog my force outboard? This is my first boat, I have talked to a couple people I know with boats and some fog and some don't. I will say it does get cold here can get into the negatives. What would you do?

kenk63

Cadet
from my understanding it keeps rust from forming in the cyl walls, I fogg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fogging isn't about cold as much as it's about preventing oxidation inside the motor. Cold and warm temperature swings can cause moisture to condense inside and the fogging adds an oil barrier against the rust.

robert graham

Admiral
Why would anyone choose not to fog a 2 stroke motor?.....especially one with oil injection that might give a minimal amount of oil to the motor during it's last few minutes of operation( say low RPM's approaching the dock or ramp)......I fog my C90 Yamaha motor whenever I take it out of the water and back home under the shed, flush the motor with fresh water while fogging, turn motor off, drain the carbs with float chamber drain screws....entire thing might take 10 minutes, but small investment in time to be sure motor always starts and runs like new....

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
well there is a lot of opinions and I think i would fog it if you only run it 2-3 times a year. If you run it weekly during the season like I do i think it unnecessary since there is enough oil coating everything from frequent use. The most I do, if I do anything, is spray a little in each plug hole.

if you choose to do the whole thing, just spray a medium amount in the carbs b/c if you get crazy with it you will smoke out the neighborhood next spring.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
I fog anything that I store over a couple of months, especially my two stroke engines. I fog the carb, then spray the cylinders. I add fuel stabilizer and an enzyme treatment to the tank. I usually run a can of seafoam at the beginning of each year.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The most I do, if I do anything, is spray a little in each plug hole.

Again, just spraying it in the spark plug hole on a two stroke doesn't do anything for the crankcase, which is where it's needed the most. So if you're going to do it, at least do it correclty.

I must admit, I have a can of fogging oil that's more than 10 years old, I keep telling myself I'm going to use it someday.

Jiggz

Captain
I fog but only through the plug hole and distributing it by manually turning the flywheel. Nope I do not fog the crankcase as I do not see any reason to do so. It is not like there is combustion in the crankcase that burn off lube.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The crank bearings are very susceptible to rust, any moisture at all and they rust up quickly, which means they typically don?t last long after that. Ambient conditions may cause condensation to form even in the crankcase.
That?s why the proper technique is to spray it in through the carb, this coats everything
So, if you plan on fogging, at least do it the way it supposed to be done to achieve the best results.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
My opinion.
​If it's gonna set for more than 6 months?? Fog or at least spray some WD or a silicone protectant spray.
I lived in Michigan and Maryland. Both get fairly cold.
​I didn't fog at all.

​In Mi. I started fishing in March and ended in October/ November.

​One thing I do is leave the cover loose.
The humidity is HORRRRIBLE here and leaving the cover on and the condensation buildup is bad.

​But if it makes you feel better?? do it.

One thing: leave the gas tank full.
​Add Sta-Bil to the tank.
Ethanol treatment too.

​I'm a firm believer that Seafoam is good for NOTHING!! (my opinion)