Plugs look normal to you ?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Every year I pull my plugs to look at them - this is from this year. Which is about how they normally look every time I check - the junk just wipes off. Plugs are in order 4,3,2,1

1985 Force 125 - NGK BUHX plugs, Mixture screws at 1 turn out.

IMG_0247.JPG

robert graham

Admiral
That little $15 spark plug sand blaster from Harbor Freight works like a charm, especially on outboard/2 stroke motor plugs.....I never buy new plugs....just blast them clean and good to go!...

Jiggz

Captain
Looks pretty norm to me. Although, you might want to check the piston crowns with a borescope or a $20 mini bore camera for carbon build up. If there is heavy carbon you might want to de-carb the engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
They look normal.
​A compression test is a better indicator of a motors health.
​I do a comp test every 50hrs.

These Force/Chryslers have fairly high compression.
​Usually 145-150 and some newer might be even higher.
​The results will vary with the equipment used.
The results need to be all about the same for all cyl.

​My 3 cyl. If the comp gets low even by 10# in 1 cyl. they get hard to start.

The old oil we mix used to have a lot to do with oil fouling and carbon build up.
​It had a high ash content and would carbon up the rings and cause piston failure and scoring.
​The new TCW-3 stopped a lot of problems.

The WORST thing you can do to an outboard is NOT use it.
Or run it slow all the time.
​They are designed to run at high RPM's.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Jiggz - what is your method for decarb ? - haven't done it for 4 years.

jerryjerry05 - I tested compression the 4 years ago and it was 148-152 per hole. This year I tested it and it was 115 per hole - different gauge. both times I just rented a gauge from AutoZone. Do you recommend a good gauge to buy ?

i do run mine all the time - 1-2 times a week from May-October - and yeah I run it hard - it's take 4500 rpm to pull me skiing and we always ski. Had it up to 5800 the other day with just me and the boy - it was cool out.

you know when I got this thing the PO had the mixtures set at 3/4 on top and 2/3 on bottom - i ran it that way for a few months before I realized it. Do you guys run any lower than 1 turn ?

Jiggz

Captain
First time I did it, 7 years ago I used Seafoam for not knowing any better. It still works but Powertune is actually better. With seafoam or PT I warmed up the engine for about 2~3 mins on muffs. Turn it off and then removed all spark plugs. Tilt it all the way up. Sprayed seafoam or PT into each hole. I usually use a full can for all 4 cylinders. Let it soak overnight. The following day, tilt it down, replaced all spark plugs, removed the air covers on the carbs and readied another can of seafoam or PT, this time with a red straw attachment so as to shoot the SF or PT into the carb's throat.

Warm up the engine. With one hand holding the carb tie bar I rev'ed it up to about 1500 rpm, spray in some sea foam (1 sec blast) starting with the top carb and at the same time quickly race the engine to about 2500~3000 rpm for about 2~3 secs. I placed a large metal drip pan by the exhaust just to see how much soot is coming out of the exhaust. It will smoke heavily especially if you have heavy carbon build up. Always give a few seconds between sprays while alternating between carbs.

I switched between top and lower carbs to ensure none of the cylinders ran dry of lube. Remember neither powertune nor seafoam has lubricant in it. An improper use can have devastating results. Always start low with the PT or SF spray. Continue doing the above process until soot from the exhaust is just barely or has significantly reduced. Usually this last about 10~15 minutes depending on how heavy is the carbon build up.

After the decarb process you will need to clean your plugs or even better replaced them. Make sure your cooling water is adequate. Last time I decarb was last year.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
My way to De-carb:
​Get motor up to operating temp on a hose.
Don't do it in a lake.

Motor hot.
Spray Powertune (Mercury) or Engine Tuner(OMC) NOOOO seafoam.
Run engine about 2500-2800 rpm's.
​Shoot PT in the top carb 2-3 seconds.
Then do the same to the bottom carb.
Do this twice.
​You should almost choke the engine out.
​If you do? no problem.
After second application on the bottom carb, shut the motor off QUICK!!

​Then motor still hot, remove the plugs tilt the motor up and spray about 1/2 of what's left in the 4 cylinders.
Rotate flywheel and coat the cylinder walls with PT. Replace the plugs.
Leave for 24 hrs. 48's better but not necessary.
You can add more PT at 12hr. if you want.

​Clean plugs and start the motor.

You should see a BUNCH of crud.
​The fuel recirc system desn't get PT in it when you just do it through the carbs.
​Get new gaskets and clean it by hand.