1989 Force 50 wiring trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alifonwater

Cadet
I bought a 1989 Force 50hp that someone had messed up the engine wiring, I ordered the Clymer manual but the color coding does not match that of my motor. I have heard that the Force shop manual from 88 to 91 has an accurate wiring diagram and am hoping that somone here can help. My motors model number is 507X9B and serial # 1638 thanks so much in advance. Al

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There is a small diagram on the powerhead.
Unless someone's removed it?

​Clymer isn't real good for specifics.

I looked on e-bay and the VULTURES are all over that site.
Found a manual for 149$ WOW!!!!!
Sounds like they want to keep it.

​Nordin supplied the last one on the other post

The manual # is OB4645 good luck.

Alifonwater

Cadet
Thanks Jerryjerry05, the diagram on the powerhead is only for attaching the control harness and I got that covered, what I need is the CD, stator, trigger, coils etc wiring as well as finding out which is coil one and cylinder one. I found the force manual on ebay for $99 but that is what I paid for the motor and until I can verify it is a good motor I would like to avoid throwing money at it. I already sent Nordin a message before Imposted this post, fingers crossed. Thanks so much!

Jiggz

Captain
There are three types of ignition system on the 50 HP, there is the "D" type which covers 88~99 models and then there is also the prior to the "D" type which covers model year 1987-1988. And then of course, there is also the 92-95 Thunderbolt ignition system. You know if you have the Tbolt system as it uses the Switchbox.

Since you mentioned "coils" and CD module that means you probably have the "D" type wiring diagram as the prior to the "D" type wiring diagram uses the CD-Coil combination module. Page 585 of your Clymer manual should show you the correct wiring diagram for your motor. If this does not match up your current configuration, let us know specifically what doesn't match. It could be the previous owners made some alterations already.

Alifonwater

Cadet
No Title

Thanks so much Jiggz. My model number is 507X9B,is there a B model? The CD installed is an aftermarket piece, coils look to be original and I have the original stator and trigger and none of the wires match the color codes of the Clymer manual page 585 but the control cable color codes match. I just uploaded a photo, or I think I did, maybe this will help someone help me. Thanks so much!

Attachments

• photo253795.png
    photo253795.png
    2 MB · Views: 28

Jiggz

Captain
No Title

You do have the "D ignition system. Starting with the stator wires, note you have the two yellow wires that connects to the rectifier. Then you have the two sets of brown-yellow and brown-blue wires that connects to the CD modules. Note each pair of brown-yellow wires goes together to connect to the brown-yellow wires or yellow wires of the CDM and the same goes with the pair of brown-blue wires.

For further info on the wiring diagram you can also save and print the following. Make sure you enlarge it so as to make it more readable.

Attachments

• photo245093.jpg
    photo245093.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 42

Alifonwater

Cadet
No Title

Thanks, Jiggs. I think it is the same but the color coding is different, the "B" model seems to have unique color coding. I do have the clymer manual with those color schematics that you posted. Earlier today somone sent me the proper schematics from the Force shop manual. I will include it here. Thanks for your help and consideration.

Attachments

• photo253818.jpeg
    photo253818.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 28

Jiggz

Captain
Great. The wiring diagram is exactly the same as the "D" model wiring diagram except you have to take note of the "or" wire colors. Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the more specific diagram.

Kyleblount

Recruit
Alifonwater could you please send me a pic of how you have your wires on the terminal blocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.