1989 50hp Force power trim relay installation

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I have posted about the power trim before but I just received my trim relays that had the circuit breaker with it etc and I was wondering if anyone had pics of their 50hp force that I can get a visual on how everything is hooked up inside the engine cowl as well as where the pump motor plugs in to. It looks like there is a place to screw something down right underneath the carb and two other holes on the inside edge of the engine cowl on the port side of the engine. I also would like to see how the power trim system looks like in general as obviously I am going to install one on my engine that originally didn't have it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The 2 holes under the carb ae where the relays are mounted.
​The relays should have an "L" shaped bracket that mounts there.
​The leads then go to the opposite side.
​The lead from the trim motor goes through the front of the cowl.
Then plugs in to the relays.
I'll take some pics when I can, probably tomorrow.

​The storms still here but has passed to the north.
​No damage to the house(thank God) but LOTTTTTS of downed limbs and trees around.
​The river came up about 35ft farther on the bank than normal and about 4ft + deeper.

​Will post some pics when I can, of the motor and the storm.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank you so very much and Im so glad you guys are ok! and the damage is minimal.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Me too!!
​It's a HORRIBLE feeling thinking that when you get home that you might NOT have a home to go to!!

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
absolutely! I got lucky that the storm that hit Joplin that produced the most devastating tornado in U.S history shifted north. Its a very eerie feeling.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Hey JerryJerry was wondering if you had time to snap a pic, Im sure you are busy with cleaning up and whatnot so I dont want to be annoying. I just recieved my power trim unit and the relays, was just seeing how everything hooked up. Does the positive lead coming off the relay go onto the starter positive lead that is right next to those two holes that are underneath the carb. That is were i mounted the breaker and the relays are off to the side mounted by one screw a piece. Just making sure.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The T@T is on a 88 85hp and will look different but your's will mount the same way.
The relays go right where you put them.
​Yes the power comes from the positive lug of the solenoid.
#3 pic is the thrust bracket you'll need. Can't find it? send me a PM

Sorry it took so long.
​Finally got things fairly straight around here.

Attachments

• photo253890.jpg
    photo253890.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253891.JPG
    photo253891.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253892.jpg
    photo253892.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo253893.jpg
    photo253893.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
JerryJerry,
Thank you so much for that, My power trim did come with a thrust bracket so im relieved of that! On mine (I will post pics later) the solenoid is on the back side of the engine but the positive cable coming off of that goes to the starter which is on the front of the engine and right were the circuit breaker mounts and it looks like the only logical place to mount the positive cable from the circuit break, is that where is goes? if not then I have no idea where it goes outside of making a longer cable to go from the front to the back of the engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have 2 power poles on the solenoid.
1 is always hot.That's where the T@T ets hooked to.
The other is hot only when the key is energized to start the motor.
​You might have to fabricate a longer cable??
​The wires on mine are a 10g maybe a 12g.
​The unit doesn't draw a lot of power.
Just make sure the grounds are good.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I guess I will have to just make a longer cable then because that does make sense on that would mean if I put it on that post on the starter it would only work when I am actually trying to start the engine because from that solenoid that wire doesn't get power until i hit the key...am I correct?
But I have found another problem no because on the shifter arm the wires for the trim are broken so I will have to re-solder them back together and then I should be good to go after making that extension for the power cable.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
My boat sat all summer and upon starting I tested the T@T systems.
​The port motor would go down but not up. Replaced the relay and fixed the problem.
​Put the boat in the water and helped my neighbor retrieve anchors used during the storm.

Got back to the ramp and tried to lift the port motor and now neither up or down was working??
​Unhooked the front hyd. line and lifted it and took it home.

Got to testing and couldn't figure it out.
Tested everything I could.

​Then I pulled the top of the trim motor off and found a broken connection in the cap.
The Green or down lead is connected/ soldered to a points like switch.
It had broken and wouldn't make connection.

​Luckily I have a bucket of T@T parts and have 3-4 good motors.

Now that I'm looking I might try to repair the slow leak down??

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Im guessing all I have to do is pull the cable from the rocker switch on the handle and run new 12 gauge wire down and make the connection in the control box....however I tried to make a temporary connection with those wires and it still didnt work, So at this point im at a loss. This is how its running and correct me if i did something wrong.
Mounted up Power trim to existing bracket ran power cables from trim motor into relay with blade connections.
goes into relay and positive goes to a circuit breaker and the cable from the breaker goes to the solenoid in the back of the engine and the ground from the relay i grounded on the bolt for the coils.
next I plugged in the green/white and blue/white cables into the wiring harness that goes into the boat and up to the remote control box.

Is there something that I am missing? because if i touch the cables from the power trim motor directly to a 12v battery it works just fine. Bad relay? running cable to wrong place in the engine cowl? IDK.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You have the power lead hooked to the right lug on the solenoid?
​The leads from the handle?? where are they hooked in?

​I have an 88-50 Force and the wiring harness doesn't have the leads in it.
​Does yours? The bigger motors all did.

​Your handle should have a R, G, B wires does the R have power?
Try checking for power through the G/B when the switch is activated.
​You might have a fuse panel under the dash with a fuse that controls the T@T

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure what lug it needs to be on on the solenoid is part of the problem.
I do have the blue/white and green/white leads going from the motor cowl to the remote shift handle then the handle wires plugged into those leads and I have replaced those wires since they were broken

My boat was very neglected when I first bought so therefore it didn't have a fuse panel.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Test light?
G​round and then (battery hot) touch the 2 posts on the solenoid.
​Only one should be hot.
That's where the hot lead goes.
​Make sure the ground is tight.

Nordin

Commander
Woodrow2929
If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you the factory circuit diagram of the T & T.
I have the factory service manual for 88 and up to 91 I believe.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok just to let everyone know but I have hooked it up correctly however, the switch on the handle is messed up as I have to really press it down hard to get it to do anything either way and sometimes it does respond. I have had to rewire from the switch down to where it hooks into the main harness that goes back into the engine cowl