Chrysler Ignition; swap breakerless for breaker distributor (NEED source)

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
I got myself lost in two different posts. Do not want to hijack somebody else's so, back to this one.
Thanks to Nordin and Jerry I finally looked at Maxrules.
I see a "TRIGGER" for Force that is the same part # as in my Chrysler 140.
Would the trigger be the preamp Nordin is mentioning?
This stuff is expensive to import into Canada, so I do not want to mess up again; what I got was not a mess up rather backwards troubleshooting (though my OEM coil was bad).
drh

Last edited by a moderator:

Nordin

Commander
Yes 135-4048 is the right part. That is the aftermarket from CDI Electronics.
Factory OEM is FA 14048-2.
Trigger, preamp, electronic eye are the same thing, just different names.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin. That ROCKS. You made my day !!!
Project for Mrs. Honeydo just worked too (Hey its my house too, therefore her boat too :)

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,
I just talked to Mastertech, very nice people to deal with, thanks.
They will ship to me in Canada, unlike a Canadian supplier, that must oder from the US anyway.
Now its all about the money, plus exchange of approx. 20 pct and shipping.
IF I knew for sure this would light the flame, its still a responsibility call; BTW, the new CD and coil are down the drain without the whole system working.
You cannot buy much of an outboard for $500* here and this one has low mileage.
I cleaned the boat up ---sleep on it.
ZZZ
*> trigger + coil + CDI

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
OK we got the trigger out and tested it buy itself by blocking and unblocking the light gap> Nadda. Time to go the last mile.
In my wildest dreams I never considered all this, but with the help of every kind person on here and at a local shop, my ignorance has been reduced a bit. But it will only be fun when it runs.
Hopefully have good news before we head to our Atlantic east coast.
Family down there run on the ocean with only one motor and when they hit shoals at low tide, it could be more than inconvenient !

Last edited:

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
To Nordin and all others in the footprint of these storms, wishing you the best, thoughts and prayers.

Nordin

Commander
How did you test it? with it mounted in the distributor or not?

The preamp need 12VDC to work, it has 3 wires, one for 12VDC +, one for - (ground) and the third is the signal to the CD box.
Are the distributor in your set up well grounded?
The grease in the svivel can insult from ground so be sure there are a grounding wires from block to dist. mounting bracket and also to the housing were the preamp is mounted.

If you have a VOM measure and check the voltage at signal wire from preamp to the CD box.
Red test lead at signal wire and black test lead to ground. The voltage should go up and down when block and unblock the preamp light eye.
I do not know the exact value but would assume about 2,5-3 VDC.

Last edited:

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Pretty sure the ground wire was good when I did it on the engine, because that same ground worked for the ignition wire 12v. We took the trigger out and hooked it to 12v and blocked and unblocked the LED eye, whether that is workable ? They all showed zero. A new part should work - I hope, last piece in the link.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
OF MORE IMPORTANCE !!! Nordin and all you folk in FLORIDA this Saturday night as Irma approaches landfall.
My relatives have a place off of Lemon Bay on the west coast, fortunately they are out of state.
GBY

Nordin

Commander
elliotlake.....Sorry if I misunderstod you .I thought you talked about the new preamp that you bench tested.
Now I realize you talk about the one in the dist. you took out.
Well that make sense, it is bad if no spark when hook up to CD box.

Lucky for me I am in Sweden Europ? and do not have to go thrue these hurricanes.
Wish you and all others in FL state US all the luck and hope for minor mayhem of the hurricane "Irma".

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin. I am glad for you ! I live in Canada, right beside the Great Lakes, Lake Huron (North Channel). We get ocean going vessels here, that use the St. Lawerence Seaway canal system. We even get some small cruise ships from Europe :) I think Jerryjerry is in Florida :)
The part for the dist is coming from Florida...hopefully, they stay in business.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
The fellow who developed and tested the replacement ignition system was kind enough to put up a new video with a bench test setup.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Irma hit Fl. and did a bunch of damage.
But it kinda did a loop around the area I live in.
​We got some tornado's and some high winds but where I live not much was done.

Last years Mathew did more damage.

Thanks for the thoughts!!

Now I ask??? WHY do I stay here??
#1 no snow
#2 some great fishing.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Jerry, people before things...so glad you are ok.
Just located and talked to an old college buddy from Toronto, he lives in Mississippi; Katrina wiped him out completely, but he was ok this time.
+++
We pulled my old 78 Chrysler 140 back from storage.
A NEW trigger came from Miami :)
I now have awesome spark, but I am struggling with timing.
Trying to start yesterday I got a clang (kick-back on starter?)
I need to find out if this motor starts at idle on TDC or a few degrees either side of it. (There is a grove in the flywheel at 8 deg, but would that advance my full throttle 8 past 32?? Which would be far too high.)
+++
Pretty sure my plug order is correct at 1-3-2-4 but I will check again.
+++
One of my new NGK "BUH" pugs broke so I put in a slightly wider gap (flush circular ground) --- find old BUH. I think this isa non issue.
+++
Nice fall day. Cannot pull it to lake, wife has the suv :)

Dave

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
YEAH< YEAH & YEAH !!!! She was running for a few minutes.
Thanks to a new friend who knows engines in his sleep. He just came by and checked my work and made a few tweeks, I will grab the info from my mailbox.
Thanks to everybody who has helped me in this struggle, especially Mark and his replacement mods.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Bill Spooner came over.
Pulled plugs and double checked TDC.
Fixed a fuel air leak.
Said floats seem ok, told me to clean the needles and get fresh gas.
+++
Starter is not staying up; he wants me to take starter apart and clean it.

Need a hitch to get her to the water.
He told me to put her under load, not just one speed...cannot do that in drive with just a hose, because the prop will tear off my water ears.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is the MSD ignition system that replaces old Chrysler (140), the exception being a new trigger (electronic eye) in the distributor.
The credit all goes to Mark Everett who did the first version and posted videos. Also my gratitude to everybody who has helped me in my learning curve.
Dave

Attachments

• photo279205.jpg
    photo279205.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 0

Nordin

Commander
Nice to hear you got the old girl runing.
Keep her in good shape.
She will last forever