Chrysler Ignition; swap breakerless for breaker distributor (NEED source)

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
I had my 1976 CHR 140 running. Then I messed up the CDI. I need help to source an older breaker distributor. Hoping it might mount similar to the current one.
( I am not super tech savvy but reading I see it will require some timing adjustments.)
If I can find the distributor the motor can be saved from the junk yard.
Besides racing winter up here in Canada, getting parts not in the catalogue is next to impossible.
I see one fellow found a distributor on a smaller engine which gives me hope.
Putting another magic box on does not seem practical and is not in my budget anyway.
PS Planning to use auto coil with internal resistor and a condenser, plus standard plugs.
(So much for the new hotter plugs with out tips :)
TX in advance for any tips.
drh

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
jerryjerry05. BELATED TX...1 year later.
Had the engine running briefly.
Added new CDI & Coil...but Dist. seems possible problem.
Hoping to find how to swap backward or forward compatible "Quicksilver" parts --- seems daunting.
BTW the cap alone has bonded wires to it !@@#$$...
If I can just get a cap and wires might save the day.
WANT TO start a new TOPIC but I am clutsy here
drh
Looks like Valley Sales is not listed now

Last edited:

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Looking for solutions to repair or substitute 1976 Chr 140 distributor (cap and wiring at least)...tried dougrussel.com
My stuff is old but I have passed the point of no return. My electronic buddies can probably help me with the electronics, BTW the wiring, cap and housing is the foundation...cut the grass.

Nordin

Commander
Try Franz Marine, he will help.

Are you sure the HT wires are bonded? My 75Hp (3 cyl.) the wires are pinched in the cap.
The preamp in the distributor maybe the issue or the rotor.
There is a carbone connection pin that connect the center HT wire for the coil. This maybe worn out.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin many TX! I have been out of town. Jerry told me to look for you.
Yah my ignorance was not bliss, ignition 101...cap splits eh :)
Made up new wires last night.
Cleaned up the metal point that connect the coil lead to the spring loaded (carbon/) rotor contact.
(Can we still get these cap pieces?)
Here is my note to Mark and Jerry:
I hope it is not too disjointed zzz:

Found time tonight to try new wiring...
CAP had continuity through all 4 new plug wires and COIL wire.
I cleaned up the metal pointer that the COIL wire touches before springloaded rotor contact.
Finally got spark on #1 via coil to distributor, I used the same method as on coil white wire off of the flywheel.
THEN I asked myself and bottle bombed neighbour HOW IN THE WORLD DID I EXPECT THAT TO WORK?!
Who knows where the ROTOR was pointing?? Therefore why did #1 spark, when the dist was not turning??
I need to do it again --- NOT tonight, with my remote starter rotor turning...
All excited I tried to see if she would kick over...NADA. I used engine storage spray because they will kick on it but the oil wont over rev the motor, Find something to shoot gas in.
Will check spark on all four plugs.
Any tips for dufus 101...

drh

Nordin

Commander
Electronic breakless dist. has a preamp instead of points to trigger the power pack to fire.
The preamp contain a light emitting diod (electroinic eye) which act when a slot in the rotor disc passes.
Then it depents on which cylinder HT wire the rotor is pointing at, which plug is firing.

A bad preamp can give up to trigger the pack or trigg irregularly.

I had an issue with a 75Hp with breakless dist. First the CD module (power pack) was bad. Changed the pack, got spark BUT fried irregularly.
Changed the preamp and then it run as it should.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
A fellow had an old 4cyl Chr electronic dist on eBay --- when he tested it unfortunately it was dead.

Nordin

Commander
elliotlake ..............read the thread that jerryjerry started "changning from battery CD ignition to reglar auto typ system".
I have answered you about the youtube Mark Everett using a MSD box.

Looked at the video last nignt and I think if you have a MSD box and got no spark when trying to use the electronic dist. with preamp to trigger the box, then the preamp is bad.
You can check the box by hooking it up with 12VDC and scratching the trigger wire (the one which goes to the points) to ground. If it sparks then the box is okey.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
TX. Tried the trigger wire (off flywheel teeth) from MSD box (new) and it fires the coil and plug___thru secondary out to grounded plug. Good SPARKS.
Actively trying to source older points dist 69-7x.
If it can run it the boat & motor are saved from the dump..."Can you hear my wife?"

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
There might be a guy who might be able to rebuild the circuitry and/or light, for a million dollars...right now I would kiss the earth for a points dist.
Heck it might be able to even convert that to a magnetic pickup; problem is there is no cam shaft :)
"I hear you Honey, I am coming."

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
I am posting in a few Canadian cities (one where Chrysler outboards had a plant)....looking for a 1969 vintage "points" distributor. Even that is proving a challenge.
(Would that require any pick ups under the fly-wheel?)
Hoping to get lucky with this approach.
Might as well take the optical top apart, since its toast.
Dave

Nordin

Commander
No Merc did have dist. until 1975. But it will not fit Chrysler.

But the preamp is still available if you want.
About 100 dollars I think. and Maxrules (Mastertech) is one of the website that has it.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
I have had two replies on my ad searching for e or points dist in an area near their old Canadian plant in Barrie. Accept one guy is looking too :)
Perhaps I should buy one that is toast to take apart...this is getting way beyond my experience, not such a bad thing --- WHEN it works out.
Jerry if the signal from the Merc would put out 2- 3 volts (I am told my new MSD
will read down to 1.5v (thus points), then maybe the upper housing with Chrysler adapter and belt could be made to work with Merc stuff.
The TIMING sequence is something I need to get help with from mechanic friends.
A magnetic system is a whole diff ball game $$$ (unless from old wreck car), besides NOW I am locked in to the MSD mod, because of my ignorant poor diagnosis. I think it is a GREAT mod, IF the e-dist is working.
This would be a good WINTER project, accept its tough to hook up a hose at minus 15 cel :)
Racing time and racing life.
Cont grateful that you care.
Dave

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Nordin,

When you changed the preamp in the Merc, did you get a schematic?
I presume there is a propitiatory circuit board in that unit, or did you change just the light?
How intelligent did it appear to you or does it just see and send signal to the CDI box?
drh

Nordin

Commander
elliotlake.....I think you have misunderstod me!
I have not change any preamp in the Merc 800, I changed it in my 75Hp Chrysler (I own a lot of OBs).

I wounder why you searching for a points dist. instead of buying a new preamp.
I think a used points dist. will coast about what a new preamp does.

In the video at youtube from Mark Everett I can not see that he use the transitor amplifier he tested to be sure the preamp signal voltage will trig the MSD box.
It looks like you can use it right on as is.

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
Well my old mechanic and wife tell me I do not listen, apologies...I had given up on preamp. BTW nothing used...
i searched that Max site you mentioned and I found a TRIGGER listed for Force (it is same part # as Chrysler 140 "135-4048"
Is there any hope that the trigger is an optical preamp??

elliotlake

Seaman Apprentice
OK I found a Chrysler trigger on eBay, it must be used, if Max had a new one it would be better; but I need to take a DEEP BREATH, because I don't know if this is the "light" and circuit or a complimentary part??? BTW the cap appears to only have a rotor...
I will get back to you later going out.
I am basically a bolt on and off guy. My army basic mechanics is a long time ago :)