water tube and exhuast tube Force 150 1989

bmaltb

Cadet
I'm reassembling my Force 150 1989. Please let me know how to assemble the upper water tube to powerhead..I've ordered the grommet, but can't for the life of me see where the old one was, or see how the new one will fit. Do i just 'glue it between the powerhead inlet and the upper water tube? I've searched the forums and the manuals.
Second question, what do you use between the exhaust tube and the powerhead, no gasket pictured...
thanks for the help...of course any wisdom, tip, pitfalls about the process very welcome

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
To install it right: pull the power head and insert the tube from the top through the adapter then reinstall the top piece.
​There are 2 very small bolts a "bracket" and a seal.

The bolts are very small and will twist off just looking at them.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Force/parts.html
​boatsdotnet parts look up 1988 Force 85hp then open the gear housing.
Top left on the pic is a shot of the parts.

The screws can be removed. Just spray with PB Blaster and a small torch and take your time.
​I trie to remove the 4 screws holding the thermo housing on, took about 3 hours and still broke one.

OR!!! just insert the tube from the bottom and hope for the best???

bmaltb

Cadet
Thanks I appreciate the help. part number 77 in the pic (Grommet 817491) looks like it is sandwiched between the seal #78 and the water tube #76...does anyhting go between the 2 pictured parts? Between the top of the water tube and the powerhead?
Also what should I use between the exhaust tube and the powerhead?
thanks for your help

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Silicone on the exhaust tube.
​The exhaust and water keeps that area fairly cool.

​The assy. of the tube? Not sure but the tube goes in the housing bracket first then gets bolted down and it squeezes in place(sorry if that's no help)
The rubber might go on first.