1989 50hp power trim upgrade.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I am wanting to add power trim to my 1989 50hp force outboard that currently did not come with one. My question is do I need relays or something outside of the actual power trim unit? I have a purple/white and green/white cables that are in the motor bay the the main wire harness that arent hooked into anything, I would assume that is for power trim. Basically outside of the actual power trim unit what else do I need to get to complete this upgrade?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The relays are there because the wires in the harness aren't heavy enough to handle the load from the trim motor.
​You CAN use them just like they are. just install a switch on the dash.
​You might get lucky and have a switch in the shifter??? Probably not :(

The T@T units are fairly easy to install just make sure the thrust plate is installed on the kingpin area or it will eat the aluminum.
​A 50 T@T is needed anything bigger like a unit for the 85/90 won't fit.

​The transom clamps you have already, will work.

IF?? you can get the relays?? use them.
Just take em apart and make sure the connections are good .WD 40

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
I actually do have the switch on the shifter! you are referring to the up and down switch right? if so then yes i do.
Ok so the only other thing i have to get is the relays then? I found a power trim unit that came off another 50hp force that looks like all I would have to do is just transfer everything over without having to take the motor off the boat.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Woodrow that sounds correct. You might have to loosen the lower transom bolts, to help slide the T n T into place.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Can someone send me a pic on how their relays and everything are hooked up on their 50hp....I recently purchased a relay harness and was trying to see where everything bolts down and hooks up at.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
also please forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by the thrust bracket? does somebody have a pic to show me? im a better visual learner.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The trim section when activated, pushed against the kingpin area.
​There is a bracket that bolts there to protect the soft alum.
I'll try to get pics if I can fit it in today.
Got a hurrycain headed our way and need to get things secured.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
ah ok yeah I heard about that rolling in, you guys are in my prayers! stay safe