1989 50hp force cooling/water jacket question

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I am new to this forum and I apologize if I'm leaving out any pertinent information but here we go. I recently made a purchase on a 1989 Jason bass boat that has a 1989 50hp force outboard for $400 so I really couldn't pass it up....got home and engine wouldn't start, did a compression check and had no pressure, replaced the head gasket and she fired right up. My question is what on earth could be on what I think to be is the water jacket? (the hollow space between the cylinder walls) there was a rubber piece stuck between two metal tangs that look like they are supposed to be there but no so sure of the rubber piece.
I have done the "pisser" mod by taking out the plug on top of the head and still no water coming out, I have taken the lower unit off and inspected the pump and seemed to be in pretty good shape, so could this random or if it is random rubber piece the cause of why no water is being exhausted?

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Here is a pic of what I am referring to.
If you can see it on the top left in the hollow space of the cylinder walls

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Can't see your picture but I think I know what you're talking about. Those rubber tubes are to divert the flow of water down and around the outer perimeter of the cylinder walls to even out the cooling effect of the water as it flows through the water jacket.

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
pic3small.jpg
oh ok, so that wouldn't be the cause of the water not exhausting through the pee hole? I've been looking at pics all night and not one had the rubber redirections per say.
Where does the water come through to get into the water jacket? Im trying to see if its a clogged intake pipe or something up near the head.
Can you see pic now?

Nordin

Commander
Yes the rubber pieces are there from factory and the purpose is to make the cooling water to circulate in the jacket in a "better way".

I would suggest to change the impeller even if you think it is in a good shape.
It is a "maintaining part" and not expensive. I have seen a lot of impellers that seams good but not working. Have change it and then the cooling has start to work as it should.
I would also check the thermostat. Pull it out and put in hot boiling water to see if it open up.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Pee hole??
Most of the water exits through the snout on the bottom of the lower unit.

​How are you getting water to the lower?
Hose? Bucket?
​The water in the bucket needs to be 3-4" over the cavitation plate or it might not pick up the water.
Muffs: you need a special muff on the 50.(see pic)
The regular ones might not fit right and deliver the water right.

Attachments

• photo213488.jpg
    photo213488.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
Ok so I will leave the rubber piece in there then. I have ordered the new impeller and will clean the inside of the housing really good, I also got the drive shaft seal that goes through the water pump housing. Do you happen to know what part number is on that? I cant seem to find it? I would like to replace it as it looks like its seen better days. My outboard didnt have a thermostat in it, but i have ordered one, but leaving it out until i can figure out the water circulation problem.

Yes pee hole I have been seeing people making this mod from the top of the head where the plug was, just take it out and put in a copper nipple and run a hose from it to have a defined pee hole.

I did both actually both putting it in a bucket and with muffs and nothing happened just having smoke come out of the snout and the new pee hole that I made.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
I've attempted to show the water flow.

Water enters the water jacket at the red 4 point star from the exhaust cover/block. It flows down the left side of the water jacket, around the bottom of the lower cylinder and up the right side (Red Arrows). At the top, the water enters the head at the thermostat (Yellow 4 point star). The water flows downward through the head and enters a passage at the bottom of the block (Yellow Arrow) and is directed into the exhaust tube and out of the motor.

NOTE: Without the rubber tube, most of the water would flow directly from the inlet (Red Star) to the thermostat into the head and out of the motor. You would not get good water flow around the cylinders.

Cylinders look to be in pretty good shape as well as the sealing surface where the head bolts to the block.

Hope this helps.

Force 50HP.jpg

woodrow2929

Seaman Apprentice
thank you so much for the visual, so if i had a blockage of the water coming out and needed to put a wire through it i would put that through the yellow arrow area to see if I have any blockage?
Yeah everything on this engine seems to be in good shape as far as I can tell that is except the water not coming out, since I have no thermostat in how long should it take for water to be coming out of the normal two holes on the motor leg? mind you I have also added the tell tale, shouldn't
I be getting water coming out almost immediately? so I either have a blockage or the impeller needs to be changed (which im doing anyway)

Thanks again!

Nordin

Commander
Partnumber for drivshaftseals (there are two).

Seal upper F40307-2 (impeller housing)
Seal lower F349307 (gearcase) under the impellerhousing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Post While the lower units off, run a hose to the water tube up into the motor.
Head still off? See how fast it gets to there?
​Thermo out? It should flow fairly quick when you turn on the hose.

​It's possible the PO had an impeller go bad and break up and pieces go up into the tube and is clogging the tube???
​IF? There is no flow?
Try a flush from the thermos housing down?