1983 Chrysler 55HP

robm40

Cadet
Can't figure it out motor runs great but won't go full speed at full throttle thought it was prop still same problem it's running full RPMs it does seem to use a lot of gas any suggestions please I am stumped

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What RPM's at wide open?
​What size: prop, boat, load?
The older 55 was never easy on fuel.
Compression and spark check?
These twin cyl. will start and run on 2 cyl.

robm40

Cadet
I'm not sure on rpms but there is spark in both cylinders it's been like this all year but last time out when I left the dock it went full speed for 5 miles when I stopped to fish it went back to slowly moving at full throttle

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure on rpms but there is spark in both cylinders it's been like this all year but last time out when I left the dock it went full speed for 5 miles when I stopped to fish it went back to slowly moving at full throttle

Obvious you have good spark when it is not loaded, but when the engine goes to "sluggish" mode, pull one spark plug wire off and see what the engine does. If it stops, you have the other cylinder not firing. If it just reduces engine RPMs then that cylinder was firing and you pull the other spark plug wire off and see. That way you figure out if it is a cylinder not running while loaded. JMHO

robm40

Cadet
So this morning I took spark plugs out to check them both had spark but top looks like its been used but bottom one is really clean but you can tell it's been fired

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try swapping coils around. See if the spark follows the coil?
Do a compression test first!!