1967 Chrysler 75hp: what am I missing

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
My engine was running, now won't start. When key is turned it the starter works, but the engine itself won't start. Any ideas of what to look at next?

Compression is good

Spark is good

Timed/adjusted according to Frank's tutorial. I even used the voltmeter test in the manual to test the timing.

Carbs are clean and floats are adjusted accordingly

And yes, there is gas in the tank!

Thanks.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Neil, have to tried squirting a little 50:1 fuel mixture in the carb(s)? Take a little bottle and squirt just a little into the carbs (not much) and see if it kicks over. If so, you have a fuel delivery issue to fix. If not, you need to check spark.

Also, what were the compression readings?

NeilDaCosta

Cadet
Neil, have to tried squirting a little 50:1 fuel mixture in the carb(s)? Take a little bottle and squirt just a little into the carbs (not much) and see if it kicks over. If so, you have a fuel delivery issue to fix. If not, you need to check spark.

Also, what were the compression readings?

Spraying fuel directly into the carbs worked, thanks. Turned over but didn't start at first. Sprayed a little more and it fired up. It stays running too. I stopped it, waited a little and it fired right back up.

Compression is right at 150 for all 3 cylinders.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Spraying fuel directly into the carbs worked, thanks. Turned over but didn't start at first. Sprayed a little more and it fired up. It stays running too. I stopped it, waited a little and it fired right back up.

Compression is right at 150 for all 3 cylinders.

Well that IS good news. Now you need to figure out why it didn't start before and fix that so if you are on the water, it doesn't repeat that problem. But glad it worked for you. :thumb:

Nordin

Commander
Check the choke butterflies, do they close fully?

These engines can be a bit cold blood to start when cool.
What start procedure do you have?
Coldstart knobe out and throttle all way forward to fast idle position.