1984 Chrysler 85hp Propeller Question

71offshore

Cadet
I have been gleening this site for info for a while now and decided its time to join, its is packed with valuable info and great people.

I wasn't sure if this should be here or under props, let me know and I can delete and move.....

I have a 1984 Chrysler 85hp and am looking to buy a new propeller. It currently has a 13.25 17pitch mercury propeller which is the perfect size but the PO took a chunk out of it.

My question is, the propeller that's on it is a part# 48-773 4417 which doesn't show as for that motor but it fits and works great. I crossed that part to a Solas 1411-133-17, is that OK to run on mine? The only prop that I can find that is supposedly for my motor is a Michigan Wheel 072107.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well :welcome: aboard 71offshore. Nice you could join us...

If the prop you have on there now is running well, what about just having it repaired? That would cost a whole lot less and since it does run well, it would work again without issue. If you decide to go for another prop, cross the part number of what you presently own for your new one. If the prop fits, the crossed part number model will also. But check out the repair route first. You could save a lot of money. JMHO

71offshore

Cadet
Thank you!

There is a local marina that has a repaired one that is chrysler specific for $95 or i can take mine in and have it repaired for $95. The one I'm interested in is a brand new Solas on amazon for 105.00 and free shipping. That one though supposedly won't fit according to the seller but I think he is just going off the part number.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If yours is repairable it shouldn't cost 95$
Usually 40-50 depending on the job.

Your prop 48-773 4417 looks like a Mercury part #??

Contact Michigan Propeller.
Even Solas.

And post on the prop forum.

Pics always help.
​You need 5 posts to add pics. unless you use a photo sharing site.
​Your actual prop had a plastic flare and a plastic nosecone.
I'd be interested to see your prop?

71offshore

Cadet
Yes that is a mercury part#, I have decided I'm going to get the Solas propeller. It's a mercury part # but it's the same size shaft and spline as the chrysler. Michigan is the only one that offers an actual prop for the chrysler non thru hub exhaust.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
When I try to upload a picture it keeps saying goes my attachment file is invalid?

use a .jpg file (this is a JPeg picture file) - if it the file it too big I open them up in paint and then reduce the size to 50% and re-save. If you files are really large you might need to choose 25%.