Chokes not pulling gas into engine

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Chokes are closed and stay fully closed while cranking. If I manually hold the throttles full open the starter only has to crank the engine over about 3-4 turns and then starts right up. I only manually held the chokes closed if I was alone on the boat. With a second person aboard I could have them work the key to both crank and activate the chokes while I hold the throttles open.

I think holding the throttles open just allows for the gas to be pulled into the engine uninhibited since it does not have to work its way past the throttle plates like it would with them at the fast idle position.

New owner is going to swap in a new fuel filter and see what happens. Long shot, but that's the only thing that hasn't changed...

Jiggz

Captain
If that is the case that it only requires for the throttles to be held full open, I would focus on the idle settings. Experiment by increasing the idle setting with the idle screw located at the bottom of the timing tower. It could be the throttles are not open enough to start when cold. Additionally, set the air-fuel mixture screws to 1 1/2 turn out from lightly seated until you can verify it will start properly when cold.

I would surmise if the idle setting is set correctly, that when then control lever is placed in fast idle position that it will give it enough throttle to get it started. You might want to check this also to make sure when you place the control lever in fast idle position that it actually moves the throttles. You should be able to visually check this by just watching the tie bar or the cam for movement.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Fast start position does move the distributor a few degrees, and just barely bumps the throttle open any farther. Nothing moves at all until the throttle position is almost fully against the stop with the knob pulled out. I did the link-and-sync procedure and set the idle position once I got the engine going so everything has been adjusted within spec. Carbs are set to 1.5 turns out on fresh rebuilds.

Jiggz

Captain
With the engine running, place the control lever in fast idle position all the way forward. The rpm should jump to at least 2000 rpm. If not the idle setting or the control cable is not properly set.

Note during cold starting using fast idle position, it is recommended you set the control lever all the way forward. And as soon as the engine starts you can slowly throttle back to warm it up.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
With the engine running, place the control lever in fast idle position all the way forward. The rpm should jump to at least 2000 rpm. If not the idle setting or the control cable is not properly set.

Note during cold starting using fast idle position, it is recommended you set the control lever all the way forward. And as soon as the engine starts you can slowly throttle back to warm it up.

Confirmed to those things, works as it should. The boat is out of my hands, but the new owner is pretty clueless about things and has my number, so I'm sure I haven't seen the last of the thing...... :)