1990 90hp force questions.

graybird78

Seaman Apprentice
looking for some help with my new to me 90 hp force motor .heard boat run before i bought it .the boat is a 1990 bayliner capri 1800. previous owner stated he could never get motor to run right he stated he had put different carbs on tried adjusting the timing. he just gave up on boat. after getting home , it was hard to start, cough ,spit ,sputter wouldnt idle. give up it had bad gas in it,carbs were not correctly set up. he had misadujsted just about every piece of linkage on carbs. got that all sorted out, now starts and idles good on muffs. still have to address the timing.. compression is 120 across all three cylinders. here is where im lost. on the lake the engine can at times be hard to start, really have to crank engine over to get running. have to be hard on throttle to get going from any kind of idle.does not want to idle in the water. did notice that when engine is off after running , there is smoke from under engine cover. if you pull engine cover off there is exhaust smoke, so where exactly do i need to look for exhaust leaks. it starts and idle good with cover off. so im sure its choking on exhaust gas. also boat did not have a tach installed when i bought it. so i found a new tach for it and installed it. idles about 800 rpms on muffs. but still has low idle in the water. motor runs good on lake under power just not very well at low speeds or idle. also after tach install the engine only get to 4000 rpms at wot on lake.can only manage 28 mph on gps t he motor seems like it should have more throttle , but its is full throttle at the stick. i must be missing something, .any help or advice would be great . dont wont to give up on it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Any smoke could be killing the motor.
​The exhaust boot between the bottom cover and the mid section has a clamp that rusts away and the bellows can crack.
​The gasket between the block and adapter plate can leak fumes and kill the motor.
​Run it with the cover off and see if you can spot the leak.

Also the post is real hard to read when posted that way.
Break it down into paragraphs and sentances??.