1989 Force Outboard Not Starting

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1989 Force 150 5 cliinder, I'm having an issue with it starting...it has great compression, getting fuel, and great spark, but it didn't seem like it wanted wanted to start or even sounds like it wants to start...Today I put some fuel in the top spark plug hole and it sounded like it wanted to start....Does anyone know what that mean...I tried putting fuel in the carb's that didn't work, the only way it will try to start is if I put fuel in the spark plug holes.....any ideas....

Mav6759

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What are the compression #s?

Possible the flywheel key has sheared?
The flywheel has hash marks. 3 next to each other and 1 single one alone.
​The 3 are for timing, the single is to find TDC or checking the flywheel key.
Long screwdriver.
Remove top plug.
​Insert screwey in top plug hole.
Turn flywheel till the screwey comes out as far as it can/will.
Top of the motor above the carbs is a timing mark.
​It should line up with the single hash mark on the flywheel.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
OK, So you think that the flywheel key has sheared...and in order to check the flywheel key to see if has sheared or not,
1. Bring the top cylinder to TDC.....If I bring the top cylinder to TDC and single mark dose not line up, it means that the flywheel key has sheared...ok got you... I will check this morning and get back with you...I thought that if the flywheel sheared, you would not get spark, because the timing would be off....and the compression is between 100 and 105 per cylinder.. I'll get back with you with my results.....if the single mark does not line up....and the flywheel key shows to be sheared, I know I have to pull the flywheel, but once i put a new key in, is there any timing procedure or special equipment need to put the motor in time....

Thank's Mav

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Usually the timing won't change if the key is replaced.
​But!! you can check the timing by doing a static timing.
​Top posts in this Force forum has the procedures for that.
​The motor will spark but the timing will be way off so it won't fire right.
Doing a static time is where a lot of people screw up.
​DON'T adjust anything until your sure it's needed.

​The comp at 100-105 on all 5 ??
​Should be 145-150
​Get another gauge and try again.
​You pulling all the plugs when doing the test?

​At 100 its low.
​But since they all are about the same? I'd say the gauge is off.
If you remove the flywheel? the torque is 85# when putting the nut back on

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
okay I am here at the motor I brought the first cylinder to TDC.....the single marks lined right up..without a problem I'm not sure what the compression should be when I called Mercury they said that compression was fine dont know...so I guess that tells me the shear pin, is still intact....so i dont know what else it could be preventing it from starting unless it has a bad fuel pump

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
are you putting the engine in fast idle when starting ? - also are you pushing the key in when turning to choke it ?

PS - if you have a bayliner pull the base of the throttle left (toward you) and then push the throttle forward.

a 5 cylinder has a harder time starting by default b/c of the smallish starter - so make sure your battery is up to snuff and try to fast idle and choke. Don't choke for too long though.

i don't think it's a fuel pump if you squeeze the primer bulb it fills all 3 bowls up and there should be plenty to run for a minute or 2

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
okay just a little history on the motor I don't have controls right now for the motor I just bought the motor from Virginia DNR so I'm starting the motor without controls I did another compression check as you instructed here are the numbers125, 100, 125, 125, 120 that was my first compression check of the day I went back and put oil in the cylinders the compression readings are as follows 145,140, 140,
125,145,so right now the only thing that makes it want to sound like it wants to start is if I put gas in the cylinders don't know

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
have you tried the enrichment button on there - i think you need that vs a choke on your engine. These things don't like to start cold without some kind of choking. See Franks video.

Jiggz

Captain
Since controls are not installed at this time, check to make sure the throttles at idle or its current position are actually slightly open. You can do this by looking into each carb. Or even better try starting it while holding down the tie bar for the carbs to give it a little throttle. If it still would not start, remove the air cover, fill a small (quart or pint size) spray bottle and try starting it with the throttles half way open and then spraying fuel oil mix directly into each carb.

It should at least cough or try to start. if it does, you might not be getting fuel into the carbs.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the replies, I have tried everything that you have mentioned, no go...I just don't understand it....I have the book and the book shows nothing of the issue I am having.....Could someone explain why compression increases when oil is placed in the cylinder.....is this true compression....or a fake....Also, since the motor seems like it wants to run when fuel is place in the cylinders, could this be a fuel pump issue,,,,I mean the carb's are getting fuel...the reeds are opening....I just don't understand why this motor won't start....

Thank's Mav.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I am having my own motor issues so don't think I know what I'm talking about. I was told to take the "out" fuel line off the fuel pump and turn the motor over. If it spits gas then you should be "okay".

The cylinders get better compression when oil is in the cylinder because it essentially plugs the air leaks like your two stroke mixed oil will.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What method are you using to start?
You have the key switch and cable?
The Force usually needs a little bit of advanced throttle to start.
There is a primer/ choke that needs to be used in conjunction with the key.

​The compression is usually done cold with all the plugs out.

You have 2 fuel pumps so at idle you should be getting fuel.