60s chrysler 55 hp electronic ign. Conversion

Can any one tell me what I need to or if it's possible to convert this engine to electronic ign. As I had a coil to melt. Checked prices on coil kinda high

Nordin

Commander
Please pics or modelnumber of the engine.It will easier to identify what system you have.

As you says it is a 60s 55Hp, I think/suppose it is a battery ignition system .
In 1969 Chrysler intruduced a MagnaPower system on the 55Hp. This system will fit your engine.
To convert to this ignition system will cost a lot of money. You will need two ignition coils and a CD box (MagnaPower with output for two cylinders).

I would suggest to check out ebay for a used coil to your battery system.

Last edited:
yes thank you Nordin it is battery sys. i would rather pay more for the electronic sys. than 180 bucks for a used coil as thats all i can find.The motor was running great, and the coil just melted. Thanks for helping an old newbie

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wouldn't any or almost any outboard coil for a breaker system work?

Nordin

Commander
las No a coil from a magneto system will not work.
But you can use a automotive typ coil (it will be larger and a bit hard to assemble at the engine9.
If you use a car coil try to find one without oil insulation and a coil with secondary resistance at about 10Kohm. I don not know if there are any with lower resistance.

The stock coil have a secondary resistance about 5-6 Kohm.

jets The stock CD system are not available new, you maybe find one at ebay or craiglist.
This system use the points as triggers (as your battery system also do) but there are no condensers as the CD box has built in capacistors which charges by the battery.

Converting to a newer typ of CDI system is very difficult. The newer typ of CDI systrem are self- energizing from magnets that are built in the flywheel.
The triggering is also generated from magnets in the flywheel.

las

Petty Officer 2nd Class
points, that's the word I was looking for instead of breaker!

But this being a battery powered ignition is this the reason any normal outboard coil wouldn't work? Because there's a lot of old outboards out there with points.

Are they built for another voltage range or?

Thank you all i did more looking and found coils in the ninty dollar range, i bought boat motor and trl for 200 dollars so i can spend 200 hundred on engine all i did to motor was clean carb. and clean out thermostat housing fired off first time i tried it, ran it in a tank for thirty mins. purred like a kitten. It is mounted to a feathercraft boat

well folks bought new coil installed yesterday( saturday) i said was a 60s model engine i was wrong its a 73 year model 557hf hooked up to gas tank engine spun about 3 secs. and started up and ran good i could tell it was firing on both cyls. I let it run at fast idle for no more than 45 secs. and shut engine off went back 30 mins. later and tried to start nothing, its getting gas matter of fact it flooded out took out plugs spun engine to rid of excessive fuel while i had plugs out i checked them for firing they both are thought maybe too much oil in fuel. so i removed carb. sprayed a little gas in each cyl. tried to start nothing now i am getting a spark but may be weak. im kinda wondering if my flywheel key has maybe sheared i checked # 1 at tdc and my timing mark is about 1 inch to the left. and i did not notice a backfire any help? thanks to all the people that have replied to my post

Nordin

Commander
If TDC at #1 cylinder is about 1 in away the flywheel key is shared.
Pull the flywheel, lap the flywheel and cranktaper with autovalve grinding compound such as Carborundum. Put a new key in at torque flywheel to right value.
The torque is 80 foot pound.

thanks Nordin for reply ok so i pulled flywheel key is not sheared. I sanded points checked gap installed new l82c champion plugs and still a very weak spark i can hold it and not be zapped very hard so i am thinking condensers are bad, and i checked flywheel found no cracks as for the timing i dont know as i said key is not sheared tell me what you think sir