1985 Force 85 HP fuel in water

jparm13

Cadet
Shortly after launching the boat I always notice a small amount of fuel in the water. Any thoughts on where this could be coming from and why? Un burned fuel in exhaust? Is this normal? Its not a lot but enough for me to notice.

Also,

When i mix my fuel i use the standard 50:1 mix. I also was told to throw in the proportionate amount of "Lead Substitute". Who else uses this and is it totally needed on this model motor? Just makes things more complicated at the gas pump for me.

Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Lead substitute is to supposedly cushion the valves against valve seats. Forget it - You don't have valves, it's a 2 stroke.

And yes, older 2 strokes can leave a sheen on the water, especially noticeable at idle.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
It's "just the nature of the beast"
​the 2 stroke doesn't burn all the gas/oil.some finds it's way out in the exhaust.

​Check the recirculation system.
It looks like a 10" dog bone on the side where the fuel pump is.

​It has a screen that can get clogged and the fuel gets out.
The screen is NLA but not really needed.
You can install a small filter on the return line if you want?

jparm13

Cadet
Thanks both for the input here. Calms some of the worries for a new boat owner. I just got done cleaning the boat and noticed the plate on the gas port actually says its supposed to be "Leaded Gasoline" Should i still not worry about adding the lead sub?

While i got this discussion going is a steam coming out with the water port normal while idling normal as well? It looks like what you see coming out of the exhaust of a car in the winter time.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Don't worry about the lead. In 1985 the switch was on to unleaded, but leaded gas has no advantage for a 2 stroke.

By water port, do you mean a pencil thick stream on the lower side of the cowling or an exhaust/water mist from the rear? The stream is the tell-tell showing water is reaching the motor from the impeller and misty exhaust on the rear is called the idle relief port which helps at idle with the exhaust back pressure from the submerged exhaust.

If this is a new to you motor, changing the water pump impeller is a good idea unless you know for sure it's been changed recently.

Jiggz

Captain
I think a picture of the said water port and "steam" will help greatly.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Again sounds like normal operation of an outboard.
​Both of mine "steam"

​Someone suggested an impeller change?? Great idea.
Also check the overheat system for proper operation.

​Key on, ground out the temp sensor(orange lead) and see if the buzzer is working.