1985 Force 85 HP outboard carb rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparm13

Cadet
Hello,
'
I'm getting ready to rebuild/clean the carbs on my 1985 force 85 hp. Model 856X5L, with serial 5941. When i'm searching for parts, the parts lists show 2 options: a bottom jet style carb and side jet style carb. I'm new to this kind of stuff and wasn't sure which one I have. On multiple sites, my serial number does not show as valid. Looking for any assistance on what rebuild kit i actually need to order. Attached are a few pictures. Thanks!

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 3
  • carb cover, back.jpg
    carb cover, back.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 2
  • carb #.jpg
    carb #.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1
  • carb2.jpg
    carb2.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 1

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i would think bottom - but all you have to do is pull the bowls off - i would just clean the jets with carb cleaner to start - are you having running issues ?

jparm13

Cadet
Hello, thank you for the reply! What makes you guess bottom? I was thinking along that too because the drawings for bottom include that carb cover. Yes running issues. Shes very hard starting. Running that starter motor forever to get it going. It also floods very easily on me. Occasionally at full throttle, i will get a sudden jerk then decrease in power, then goes back to full power.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i guessed bottom b/c mine are - i cleaned my carbs this summer - it didn't really do much for me except cause me some issues b/c i got crazy with the carb cleaner and ruined one of the rubber seats.

if you have your carbs off you can flip the upside down and see if see if they needle seal when blowing into the fuel inlets. the should not seal when flip right side up.

i seem to see a bunch of junk in your cowl so it might have sucked some crap into the carbs.

one other thing are you putting your engine into fast idle and then using the choke for 5 seconds when starting ?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
boatsdotnet has your carb listed .http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Force/parts.html
​Seems they used BOTH carbs on that model????
The plenum (pic2) is used on almost every 85/90 there is.
​If someone says it's not on their motor???
Someone's removed it.

​Drop the bowl and see what you have??
​The bowl gasket is usually all you'll need to replace and sometimes all you need is to turn it over.

​Unless your carb is really gunked up the most you need to do is clean with carb cleaner and then ,
wash with Dawn and blow dry.

The hard starting: do a compression and spark test.
​The 1985 85/125 had the plug and play electronics.
The connectors aren't the best and can loose contact when they get older. WD-40

​The "missing under load could be the wires to the trigger.
​Water in the fuel.
Bad reeds?
Stator bad.

When you use the choke does the slide move when using the choke?

Install a filter between the carb and the pump.

Last edited:

rocco0607

Recruit
I have an 86 force 85 HP, it ran great last year, this year it only will run half speed. I cannot get it to run full RPM..I have cleaned the carbs but now I am stumped. Starts easy, runs half speed but smokes a lot. almost like it is flooding.

The Force power

Commander
I have an 86 force 85 HP, it ran great last year, this year it only will run half speed. I cannot get it to run full RPM..I have cleaned the carbs but now I am stumped. Starts easy, runs half speed but smokes a lot. almost like it is flooding.

Welcome to Iboats,

Read the sticky notes on the top regarding posting/ asking questions First.
then you'll have a better understanding on how the forum work and then;

You should start a new topic with your concerns/questions

VivaLaMigra

Seaman Apprentice
"Rebuild": a Tillotson carb? Never done that! It's so bloody simple. About the only thing that can go wrong is a leaking bowl gasket or a worn needle. Everything else is just cleaning, period. I took one apart today - the single carb off a Force 70 - and had it back together and on the motor in ten minutes. If the passages are clear and the needle shuts off fuel flow, it's going to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.