Lower Unit Drive Shaft 35hp 1989 Force

MikeV7531

Recruit
I have an 1989 35hp electric start force model #357F9B. I have replaced the drive shaft, along with the water pump. At the top of the shaft a brass ring is pressed from the factory there is a rubber boot type seal that sits down into the brass ring
When inserted up into the flywheel it seals the hole the shaft goes through. When the lower unit is completely reassembled to the power head the prop will not turn in neutral, I slightly loosen the bolts connecting the lower unit to the power head and the prop turns freely. I'm not sure if the rubber seal boot has anything to do with the pressure on the driveshaft or not, but now to remove the lower unit back off you need to use a tie down ratchet type strap to break it free because that rubber boot seal seats up into the hole the shaft goes through to connect to the flywheel. I've gotten it out once already to make sure I'm seated correctly at the water pump location into the lower gears and just would hate to have to pull it again. If anyone can give me some input on this lower unit I would appreciate your help. Thanks, Mike V.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome!!
The drive shaft goes into the crank not the flywheel.
​The ring and seal shouldn't have anything to do with the drive locking unless the rubber gets into the crank/splines??
​Remove the drive, look up inside and see if there is something there blocking the hole??

​The rubber boot is there to keep the grease on the splines and protect from water.
​You can have the boot on upside down. Shouldn't make much difference.

​If your in fresh water it's not as important as use in salt water.
You can try to assemble it without and see if it still locks up??

MikeV7531

Recruit
Thank you Jerry, yes you are correct it is the crank not the fly wheel my bad, i do use it in fresh water only. i will take your advice, thanks for your input.