I tried asking this in the steeting and controls section

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a steering pull. It gets worse as the rpm's increase. I have tried to adjust the steering fin every time out this season, made sure there are no problems with the hull, and also checked the mounting of my outboard. So I was wondering if a "No Feedback Helm" would be worth the investment?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The steering pull is just the "nature of the beast" and is present in all propeller driven water craft due to the rotation of the prop. As far a a "No feedback Helm" being worthwhile, that is probably a personal preference as to whether the work involved and cost justifies the results.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the response. I guess what I waned to know is will a NFB Helm help with the torque steer? Oh yeah it is an 85 HP force on a Bayliner Capri 1700

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Yes, the NFB helm will pretty much eliminate the torque steer. You can let go of the steering wheel and it will stay where it is.

The only negative comments that I've seen are that some of the steering ratios of the NFM helms are different than the original type steering. That is.... the original steering was 3 turns from all the way left to all the way right. The NFB helm was more than 4 turns. I believe (not 100% sure) there are several steering ratios available with the NFB Helms, so you might want to check into it if it's an issue for you.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Again thanks for the info. I am not too concerned about the ratio, 3 to 4.5 I think I can get used to that.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You can modify the snout to turn farther than it normally does.
​Try turning the snout all the way in the other direction.
The NFB is good and if you can find it? cheap.
The hyd. is great.

Simple_Man

Petty Officer 1st Class
My cable is new so I only have to change the helm, The boat is older and I am hoping to upgrade in a couple years so I think the NFB will be fine.