Timing

gydatree

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys. I know this is an old post, but its pretty spot on with what im dealing with, so i figured id give it a shot. I just put a 96ish Force 120 on my pontoon, and the guy i got it from insisted i do the timing. I didnt realize that til after running the boat a bit, didnt notice anything wrong as it ran great. So I went back and setup for the timing, and it was at about a little over 10ish I think. After asjusting I got it up to the recommended 28 at WOT and it ran extremely high, and knocked some when you have it any throttle. I adjusted jt back down tk where it idled just right, which was a bit higher than it had been previously set (it did have low idle b4 and stalled once or twice), and it ran great all day.

Do I need to be worried about anything else? Is there something else I can adjust to make it idle right at 28? Am I risking damage by running it under 28? I never did think to check it at neutral, looking back I should have. But I do want to make sure I dont waste this motor, as it replaced another 2 stroke with oil injection problem that burned up.

Also, as for the mixture. I have been doing 1 quart for every 12.3 gallons and 1 pint for 6.15 gallons, putting the oil in 1st to mix, all non ethanol gas. It does seem 2 smoke a bit at times, but seems 2 run strong, no problems whatsoever.

Jiggz

Captain
You can ran the motor with a little less than required advance timing except it will not ran at its maximum. Personally, I recommend timing it to 28 static and then adjust the idle screw at the bottom of the timing tower to set your idle neutral rpm around 1000~1100 rpm corresponding to idle in gear on water at around 700~800 rpm.

Also check the carb throttles (located at the back of the carb's throat) at WOT position to make sure they are in full horizontal position. You will need to remove the air covers and maybe use a flashlight to see it.

If you want, you can also check the idle position and it should be fully closed if you unscrew the idle screw (bottom of timing tower) just to be barely touching the engine block. If neither of the preceding is correct you need to adjust the length of the swivel rod connecting the timing tower to the cam achieve both requirements on the throttles.