1989 force 85 opinions or red flags?

Catdaddyxx

Cadet
I know you won't be able to tell much. But, do any of you see and/or hear any red flags with this engine?
Its supposed to have a recent Rebuild. 1989 Force 85hp.

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds pretty healthy to me, at least at idle. Take it out on the water and open it up.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
The Force motors are pretty basic old school 2-stoke motors. Not as powerful and efficient as newer models and no bells or whistles either. This makes them very simple and if you're a DIY'er, reasonably easy to fix. Parts are still available and not too costly.

Having said that, all that video tells you is that the motor idles well on muffs. The real test is in the water. I would perform a compression test to see what you have and go from there.

One question is why is the motor being sold, or is the boat and motor being sold together?

The fact that it supposedly has a recent re-build isn't necessarily a positive thing either. I've seen quite a few poorly done re-builds, some by supposedly reputable shops.

Catdaddyxx

Cadet
Yes, both boat and motor are being sold. I have experience with johnson outboards but wanted some other opinions on the force. We're just looking for something small and cheap to get back on the water after selling our camper.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Sounds good. You might try getting a hold of jerryjerry05. I believe he runs twin 85s on his boat

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Force motors get a bad wrap for some reason. I'm really happy with mine! Runs really good and it's super easy to work on.

Jiggz

Captain
As previously mentioned, do a compression test and take it to the water. It does sound good at idle on muffs though.

Note, the word "muffs" is included for a reason. Yup, there are some old Force motors that cannot even idle smoothly on water let alone run at WOT.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
After a compression test and checking the gear oil.
​Buy it if the price is something you can live with.
The 85 is a good running real easy to maintain.
I have 2 88's and would buy them again.

There are some steps after you purchase.
Like adding filters and changing the plugs to NGK's(ask Jiggz)
A decarb and a fuel stabilizer.
Add a tell tale.

IF??? it's been rebuilt?? and oversized pistons were installed??
You can look in the plug hole and see the size embossed on the head of the piston.

Oh yea welcome.

Catdaddyxx

Cadet
Thanks for the info. Someone beat me to that boat, so it became a moot point. I ended up with a nicer boat anyway.