1973 Chrysler 55 HP Model 559HF

MarkK12

Recruit
I am having some issue and need some help.... I have a 1973 Chrysler Outboard 55 HP with the model number being 559HF.

the issue I am having is this

Start the motor up runs great with a little choke motor warms up runs for about 3-5 Minutes then boggs itself out in that time

after the motor shuts down I try to restart it with choke with no choke nothing happens wont start then I open my float bowl let it drain completely empty...

then try to start again it starts right up and runs great for the 3-5 minutes and slowly boggs it self out in the middle of that time if I try to kick it in gear it boggs it self

down within seconds but if i leave it in neutral then it will run for the full 3-5 Minutes

any suggestions are appreciated trying to get this thing running in time for early goose season!!!:)

wickware

Lieutenant
Is this engine new to you and just a new problem??? Please share some history and the last it ran good.
  1. Has it been tuned with new plugs or cleaned plugs/points and carb cleaning lately???
  2. Has it been stored bone dry of fuel 0r with Stabil/Etc in the fuel?
  3. Do you have a clear filter between the fuel pump and catb to see fuel flowing?
  4. Have you cracked the fuel tank?s cap to see if a vacuum could be occurring?
  5. Some good history and efforts could get you some good responses or possibilities?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Possible the fuel pump is bad??
​Or it's sucking air at the fuel line connector?
Possible the vent on the tank is clogged or not open?
More history like Wickware asked??