idle problem

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been working with a 1994 force 70hp off and on all summer. Had a problem with gas build up around the bottom cowl and carb. Looking to rebuild the fuel pump, I found a bolt in the bottom cowl. I found it came from a recirculation cover. replaced the bolt and the engine ran great WOT but would not idle. It would only crank with throttle open in neutral and throwing quickly in gear. Would run great at WOT but die when backing down to idle. I checked the tubing visually for split and holes. Any suggestions?

Jiggz

Captain
First double check the "synch and link" on the sticky post to make sure you have the idle set correctly in relation to the throttles.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Clean the carb.
​Make sure the low speed jet is clear.
The jet is under the white slotted screw on the right side..
That white thing is a cover and needs to be there.
The air screw(slotted screw and spring) needs to be set at 1 and 1/2 turn out then adjusted when warm and in gear.
Turn the screw in(gently) till it bottoms out. Remember the turns it takes to bottom out. Post this.
Check the fuel pump diaphragm for holes.

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have already synch and link and rechecked. Hopefully this weekend I want to go through the carb again and replace fuel filter . Thanks for the reply