1995 120hp starter stuck/WD40

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Good morning gentleman,
Near the end of my trip last week to one of our lakes, the starter got stuck and would not engage the flywheel. I used a screwdriver and the starter shaft popped up and engaged. I noticed the shaft was very very dry. Once I shut the motor down the shaft got stuck again. I tapped down on the shaft sprocket and sprayed wd40 on the shaft. The starter worked fine the rest of the trip.

Question: Could this of been the "fix" or the beginning of needing a new starter down the road?
Ty, Dave

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
It doesn't necessarily mean that you need to replace the starter. It's not that uncommon for the gear to get stuck from lack of lubrication. What you did (spray some WD-40) was exactly what you need to do. A little lube is necessary for the gear to move freely. Just don't over do it. You should be good to go.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you, that's a relief and good to know that I didn't just band-aide it. Worked well after the spray and I'll dab a little (very little) marine grease on too.
Dave

Jiggz

Captain
This has always been a discussion topic, whether to lube or NOT to lube the starter shaft, pinion gear and flywheel ring gear. In my maintenance manual, it actually recommends lubing these parts. Albeit using light marine grease or even regular ball bearing grease. I do this every start of the season. But you always want to make sure you clean off the old grease first before applying a new coat.

Yup, there are those who do not want to lube the starter shaft concluding it'll just be a magnet for dust and eventually builds up and makes the shaft sticky and eventually getting stuck. But after more than 7 years on this forum, I have yet to hear a complaint about a starter shaft getting stuck due to dust build up. Instead, it has always been a stuck starter shaft due to lack of lubrication. Maybe it's just me not reading every starter problems here. I say lube it anyways.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you again!
Just glad to hear there is a fix for an issue that doesn't appear to be major. I've been able to fix most everything on the two Force motors I've owned and this is one I haven't come across until now.
Appreciate the help and knowledge!
Dave

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A little grease on the worms usually helps.
​Too much grease or WD can ruin the rubber inside the Bendix.

Just like Brylcreem a little dab'll do ya!!

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Used a little grease right on the worms. Works like a charm.