1988 Force 125 Forward Control Cable Adjustment

Justinde

Chief Petty Officer
HI All ( again)

My 1988 125 has a coupe of issues which I am fairly certain caused by an incorrect adjustment on the forward controls.

There are a couple of issues, so I'll list them so as to paint a better picture and hopefully get a resolution to my problem.

* Idle speed screw on tower at lowest adjustment but engine still idles fast
* If I'm not careful, she will go from forward straight to reverse- and the forward control is stiff
* The tower shaft arm and neutral stop arm don't seem to be adjusted properly
* Engine coughs and sputters a bit at idle, but hole shot is OK
* Engine can be a ***** to start, cold or hot, but once it's running it seems OK, just the coughing out of gear at idle.

So now, over to the experts. Can the forward control cables be adjusted and would this be the cause of some of if not all of the above problems?

Cheers

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The cable, linkage can be adjusted and still not work right.
The top of the shift rod is 2 nuts holding the rod on the linkage.
They are pressure nuts and don't need lock washers.
You figure out which way the linkage needs to go and adjust the nuts accordingly.
Do the link and sinc. in the top post.

The cough at idle could be: the air screws out of adjustment.
The reeds, bent or broken.

If the link and sinc doesn't fix the idle.
The high idle could be the timing is off?

hallass

Recruit
I had a very similar problem with mine and just fixed it all by doing the link and sync procedure and adjusting my idle screw settings. I had a high idle that caused it to slam into gear, and finding neutral was tricky at times. I had to just kill the motor and drift into dock or people would look at me like I was crazy slamming from F to R about 3 times before finding neutral. Calming the idle down made it go in and out of gear much easier.

Go on youtube and search "Chrysler outboard throttle linkage adjustments." That video nailed it for fixing the issue for me.